Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wood fired hot water system

I would like to know what I need to install a wood fired hot water system into my existing oil fired system.  I already have the wood stove box pipe coil that was made for this wood stove..........

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Storage

The short answer is, you just tie your wood boiler into your system like a second boiler and voila, you are all set.

In reality, you really need to think through how you are going to store all this energy. Your stove is going to produce lots of BTU's. No matter how you configure it you will not be able to use them immediately. You are going to need large storage tanks and a smart control plan.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Large is correct

500 to 1000 gallons is what is often needed. Seldom is wood piped in this way as no one wants to loose the space in their basement, or pay for the tanks. Safety relief valves on the coil are very important too.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bighat
    bighat Member Posts: 3
    bighat

I have a flame view wood burning cook stove with a water back to heat water. The 40 gallon tanks sits about 2 to 3 feet from the stove and thermosyphons the hot water from the stove. The system pressure and is unvented with TPR valves. The system produces to much hot water at night and during long fires. I would like to add and another tank but I'm not sure how to plumb it. I've included a paint brush picture of my stove and setup. You'll notice the blue rectangle to the left, this is the only location I can add another tank. Look forward to some good ideas, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.