Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

humidifier in old house

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
My wife really wants me to start running a humidifier in our house and I'm kind of concerned about the problems it may cause.

Currently our house doesn't have insulated walls and the attic isn't vented.  Walls are aluminum siding over clap board with plastic on the inside.  Attic is empty with no ventilation at this point.   We plan on changing the attic situation in the neat future, however the walls will continue to be a concern.

There have been no signs of condensation in the attic and the walls I have no idea.  Last winter I refused to use a humidifier because I fear causing condensation and with RH levels below 30 my wife was not happy and to be honest neither was I.

<strong>Should I be safe to run a humidifier in this house at a conservative level such as maybe 40% RH?  </strong>I realize no one has a crystal ball and will know for sure, I'm just looking for opinions.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Should I be safe to run a humidifier in this house...

I have fancy Marvin thermopane-type windows. Argon gas filled. Optical coating.

When it is really cold out, if I humidify to 40% and it is 69F inside, the condensation on the glass will run down the windows. I infer that that is too humid. If I keep it to 30%, that rarely happens.
  • ChrisJ
    humidifier

So,  you're saying 40% RH is too much for any house if it gets cold enough out?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    edited November 2012
    Not Quite.

I  am saying it is too much for my windows and my house. And I do not know what is happening inside my walls (which is more important than my windows). But when my windows are condensing so much there are little puddles of water on the horizontal parts, I infer that it is too much for me. It is 43F outside right now and 31% R.H. inside and there is not even a mist on the windows.

When it is 10F outside and 40% inside, there is a problem with the windows. I have no probe type hygrometer (if there is such a thing) to measure the condensation inside my walls. I just take window condensation as a warning.
  • ChrisJ
    condensation

Well, considering I have 150 year old windows that don't fit right with cheap 20 year old storm windows that stink I double I can do as good as you.

It kind of sounds like my assumption was right, a humidifier is probably a bad idea in my house.

Though I do recall typical hydrometers having something like a 20% tolerance.
This discussion has been closed.