Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Exhaust vent slope - sealed combustion boiler

Options
I'm installing a Weil McLain CGs boiler (sealed combustion).  The exhaust vent is supposed to slope back to the boiler where a condensate drain is the first horizontal fitting.

It would be REALLY convenient to slope the vent away from the boiler and have the drain just before the exterior wall.  Is there a good reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks,

Bob

BTW: the vent is vertical for 4' then horizontal for about 8'.

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Certified I&O manual

You must follow the certified Installation & Operation manual that comes with the boiler. There are several good reasons for that. The manufacturer has tested and certified the venting. Not following the instructions could lead to loss of warranty, tagging by the OHJ, lawsuits etc...
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Simple answer is

the condensate will freeze and eventually plug the exhaust.
  • Bob_Engelhardt
    Bob_Engelhardt Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks

"You must follow the certified Installation & Operation manual ..."  Yeah, I knew that ... just hoping for the answer that I wanted  

I'm still curious as to why it would pitch back, rather than away.  Away seems better - if the drain becomes clogged, "away" would overflow outside, where "back" would go into the boiler.  Also, wind-driven rain would not have to be handled by the drain.

Thanks,

Bob
  • Bob_Engelhardt
    Bob_Engelhardt Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Wouldn't freeze because ...

the drain would be inside, just before the wall.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Options
    It could

Cold air from outside will come in during the off cycle. If it is done, put the needed trap as low as possible from the vent and maybe the water in the trap won't freeze. 
This discussion has been closed.