Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping radiant heat mixing valve

Seems the mixer may be piped incorrect. My question is how to bring in the cooler return water to the tempering valve so it tempers the valve. Right now Im getting 145 degree water on the mixed side and that is the coolest I can get. Im using a Taco 5000 3 way valve.

Thanks

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited October 2012
    A Taco 5000

is pretty limited as to what you can do w/ it. With that setup a motorized mix valve w/ outdoor reset built... like a taco i valve would be best. http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products/iSeries%20Mixing%20Valves/products.html?current_category=188
  • Billjulian
    Billjulian Member Posts: 12
    Radiant mixing valve

Thanks what model would you recommend?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    How is the tubing installed

Is this a staple up application? Do you have the ability to measure the pipe temps accurately?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Upside down

Just to be sure... The "C" is pointed up right?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Billjulian
    Radiant mixing valve

Ya the C is pointed up.
  • Billjulian
    Motorized Taco 3-way valve

What will a motorized valve do for me over a Taco 5000? I never installed one how does a motorized valve operate?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    motorized valve

can change the supply temp based on the outdoor temperature.  This is called outdoor reset (ODR) and will improve both comfort and efficiency.
  • Billjulian
    Radiant Mixing

Thanks Swei

What is happening is...the return water (teed in from the cooler zone) seems to be a problem. I am thinking of re piping the cooler (cold) side of the Taco 5000 so it is horizontal because my other radiant zone works fine. The set up is: Cold to the left hot to the right and mixed facing upward.

I think the return water is struggling it may be a heat trap if you look at the pic because when I put my hand on the cooler return water right at the Taco 5000 it is very warm not much cooler than the hot side.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013

what temp is the valve set for?

can't tell what your piping is doing. supply water (hot) should be on hot side, your mixed circuit return water should be cold side, and you should be pumping out of your mix outlet to the mix supply side.

if you are doing that you should never exceed the temp setting on the valve. you are getting near max temp so either you have it piped wrong or you have the setting at max.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.