Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatflo HW tank

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
I've posted this on the general info, but would like any specific info on the heatflo WH.

My dad in Maine is looking to replace his Burnham boiler with a Pensotti quadritech series #DK2-4 oil.  I haven't found anything referenced on this website about this brand.  I'd like to hear some opinions on this and perhaps some alternate brand choices.  He will be installing this himself with a bit of help as he did with his prior system.  I'm suggesting a Triangle Tube, but don't know if that is comparable. He's looking to heat his dhw with it and is looking for direct vent with  high efficiency.  The indirect WH is made by Heat-Flo in Ma. The control is a Honeywell L-4080b aquastat. I can't really get fix on ieither. Any and all help would be appreciated.  I want to make sure this is the best decision for his circumstances. He's using Taco pumps.

Thanks for all the help you've given to me in the past.
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Question?

I like heat flo hot water heaters. Is gas an option? I didn't understand if your question is about boilers or water heaters, or  both. Triangle tube does not do oil burners.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Heatflo quality

Thanks for the info about TT. Gas is not an option for him.  He now has a separate HW tank, but wants to use the heat flo with the new boiler for greater efficiency. the Piansotti has received pretty good reviews thus far, but I just thought he should consider a mod-con boiler while he's at it. It may be that it's too difficult to install oneself or maybe none of them are available in oil. Is there one out there that's  reliable. He's good with maintenance and knows  (or can learn) the mechanics of the system.  He has baseboard units, if that make a difference.

My question here was if the heatflo isa good, quality tank.

thanks.Colleen
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    No Mod/Cons for oil

There are no residential oil burners sold in the U.S. presently on the market that modulate their oil flow.  There are a couple boilers that are designed to condense which would mean they get a few percentages added to their AFUE ratings.  Since oil flue gasses condense at lower temperatures than NG or Propane, there is a little less efficiency to be gained by condensing.  I've heard good things about Pensotti.  Maybe now that Ultra Low Sulfur Heating Oil is becoming more available, we will see smaller nozzle sizes without problems that might lead to modulating oil burners.

I don't remember seeing a HeatFlo water tank in a basement that I've been in but from viewing their website, http://www.heat-flo.com/  it seems comparable to Triangle Tube. 

I'm assuming that he wants the direct vent on the boiler and the water heater would be an indirect.

This discussion has been closed.