Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

infloor plastic manifolds leaking

Options
briang
briang Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I am a homeowner and experienced leaks showing up as damage to woodwork, looked at my infloor (grey plastic) manifolds and saw them dripping. Its been over ten years since installation and now I have some damage and mold. Is there any recourse (my contractor, infloor or lawsuit) to get this fixed? Going to be very expensive, pleaded with infloor and their quote for parts is $1000!. Can't handle that right now ;(

Also don't want to give my money to infloor, what is a better (cheaper solution)?

attached pic of one of the leakers.

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,572
    Options
    Cut it out.

I did a couple of these about a year ago. Just cut them out and put in the manifold of your choice. Infloor made a bad product. Your contractor and others bought them. I do not know of any lawsuits.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    edited June 2012
    Options
    water quality

Before jumping the gun and replacing the manifolds outright I would get the water in the system checked out, I've found that fine sediment can weasel it's way through o-ring connections & cause leaks especially if you have glycol. Then disassemble the manifolds & check each connection, replace & re-grease o-rings if necessary.

Edit: I see they have crimp-connections instead of the usual compression o-ring deal on the floor circuits, that may make things a little nightmareish, especially since the manifolds are mounted so low.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,438
    Options
    best bet is to cut open.....

the walla bit lower and then go w. a couple of sioux chief manifolds.... it will be the cleanest way to go.
  • briang
    briang Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I was told there are no replacement parts. I have the radionics guy coming out tomorrow. We shall see what he says.

Infloor passed the buck, said that they bought the infloor name and its Maxxon who designed/bought the bad manifolds:

FYI:

Maxxon® Corporation

920 Hamel Road

P.O. Box 253

Hamel, MN 55340

Phone: 1-800-356-7887 or (763) 478-9600

Anyone know what kind of warranty I should have expected with my system? What should I get with the new manifolds?

Thanks again, this forum is proving invaluable.
  • Zman
    Options
    That's the same...

That's the same thing infloor told me.

You may want to look at manifolds that have flow meters and balancing valves. I am assuming the numbers written on the valves are the footage of your loops.300' is long for 3/8" tubing period. Things get a little strange when other loops are as short as 132' How does the system heat? Are the rooms heating evenly? With a big enough circulator it may be a moot point.
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Maxxon manifolds

Usually these manifolds were attached to non-barrier pex. Make sure the piping has an oxygen barrier if you want the boiler (or any ferrous component, including iron pumps) to last.
  • OLDGOAT66
    OLDGOAT66 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    LEAKY INFLOOR MANIFOLD

We had similiar problems 6 years ago for our system..located part at CTI corp in Ridley PA...it is leaking again which we did not expect until ceramic floor tiles in hall starting popping up traced to leaky manifold into adjoining wall from heater room. We cannot locate the part now  thanks for help and suggestions. We called our installer both times and were told that he was a distance from our home and would have to come in slower season.  We never heard from him either time again.
  • OLDGOAT66
    Options
    any help on replacement part that works?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement, ie, type - manufacturer - ?

We want to retain our separate zones

• OLDGOAT66
    edited September 2012
    Options
    thanks

• OLDGOAT66
    edited September 2012
    Options
    error

• Zman
    Options
    Convert to PEX

The solution that we used was to use 3/8" poly to pex crimp fittings, my wholesaler was able to order them.  The pex pieces were only 6"-8"  long. From there we prefabbed a new manifold assembly. The one we used had balancing valves as I was unsure how consistent the lengths of the loops were. It turned out they did not require much balancing. 

Carl
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.