Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

scroll compressor

will a scroll compressor pull down on a residential ac like the recipricating type?pump back into condenser? thx

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2012
    Pull down?

Yes , a scroll will "pump down" if you front seat the king valve. But maybe/maybe not will pump down if you are talking a liquid line solenoid .
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    scroll pump dpwn

thx techman. with new 410a equipment you must need to by pass low and high pressure switches it looks like to do this.
  • Techman
    edited June 2012
    hold on

.Bypassing the lo press control is one thing,but, bypassing the hi press control is a definate NO WAY! If you have that much 410a in the system that you are considering bypassing the hi side safety then you must first recover some of the freon ,then pump down the rest into the cond unit.You can stress out the copper/aluminum tubing and the comp by not knowing how much press you are creating.5lb of shoot in a 3lb bag.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2012
    Paul

Not sure what or why you wish to pump down the system, but your mere questions are cause for concern.  No Dis. intended, but only Professionals are qualified to work on any refrigeration system.  It's not a do it your self er game.  You can get seriously hurt!  If you are an apprentice, have a pro over your shoulder while you are performing the procedures.  This will make me feel better.

Peace

Mike T.
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    pro

mike t., i have alot of experience in trade. i am new with 410a and scroll compressors. i am just asking general questions. i have a recovery machine etc.i recover when repairing . i just never tried to pull back into new style stuff. i for years did this with r22 systems and reciprocating compressors. i tried to pump down one unit with scroll like i would on reciprocating and it wouldnt pull down.like alot of techs there is always new stuff to learn and 410a is new to alot of us..ok. so i am asking questions because my first time i tried i couldnt get it to pump down with scroll type, so i recovered it and am just trying to figure what i might have done wrong or if it could be done.you cant know every new thing there is coming down the pike and i was here to seek advice so i could gain knowledge on this new style equipment.i would say this stuff is a learning curve for alot of expierenced techs and rookies. thx
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Appreciate your comment

Thanks for not taking it the wrong way.  Believe me, I will be the first to say I don't know everything...  Now I know.  I just thought it might be a rookie and didn't want to see anyone hurt.  Again I apologise.  I am 28 yrs in the field and I try to help whenever possible.  We are all here to listen and learn including Me. 

Peace

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Pump down.

On AC cond(residential style) units there is no way to see what the cond coil press is when pumping down a system.No way to see what damage you are causing.When over stuffing a cond coil the hi side press is real hi, the comp is trying to push harder and pull what it can. At some point  the comp can't push ,so it can't pull  ,so it woun't pump down. Remove some freon and then there will be enough room for the rest of the freon to pump down into.Ever have an Amp meter on a comp when you over stuff a cond coil? Ever install a "tap valve" to see what those over stuffed press's are? But then you have to deal w/ removing the tap valve.
This discussion has been closed.