Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat-Flo vs Superstor

Hi everyone,

In process of finalizing my boiler installer choice and it has come down to the following choice on Indirect Tanks. One contractor would prefer to use a Heat-Flo 40 gallon Indirect and the other is planning on using a SuperStor SSU-45.

I've seen much about Superstor and pretty much nothing on Heat-Flo. Is it a reputable brand or should I ask for Superstor?

FYI for either choice my boiler will be a Buderus 115WS 4 Section with the Riello Oil burner.

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I prefer Super Stor.

But hey that is just my opinion. I did use a Heat Flo buffer tank once. No complaints.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    warranty

both the same? Never used the Heat-flo so honestly cant answer there...
  • brianjv9999
    brianjv9999 Member Posts: 1
    Heat Flo 40 gallon indirect 3 years old leaking

I have a Heat-Flo 40 gallon indirect. It was installed in late 2008, so it's less than 4 years old now and it has been leaking for a probably a year or more. The leak is worse now I'm going to replace it. I bought the place in 09 so the warranty is not available to me apparently as I am not the 'original purchaser'. I have the book and paper that came with it the warranty says it's 'lifetime'. It's a sham IMO but that's the world nowadays. Everything is built to break, nothing is built to last or worth being fixed, just replaced.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Where?

Where is the leak? I have never had an issue. What part of the country are you in? Chlorides in the water?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    316 L S/S

Tanks made out of 316 L Stainless Steel are susceptible to chloride attack (commonly found in many city water treatment programs). If your chlorides are too high in your city water it can lead to a premature death of your 316 L S/S tank. Having said that 3 years is a short life for any tank and you'd have to either have a crapload of chlorides in the water (making me wonder if this tank is being used as a swimming pool heat exchanger), or, perhaps a manufacturing defect (what I'd believe in this case without actually seeing the install or the data), to make a tank fail that soon.

Also, are you sure it's the tank and not a leaking tapping that is working it's way through the insulation to the floor?

The only tanks I would spec are the Bradford White RTV S/S series (made out of 444 stainless steel - 400 series S/S is no where near as susceptible to chlorides as 316 L- practically immune apparently). I've put lots of these tanks into operation and I've seen a couple 6-7 year olds without any issues to date. Or the Viessmann 300 series indirects made out of 316 Ti. These tanks are built to last but they are the best value out there.
    Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber
This discussion has been closed.