Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

is there a difference in the pex tubing

PORKCHOP
PORKCHOP Member Posts: 21
looking to purchase oxygen barrier pex tubing but a wide variation in price per foot

is oxygen barrier pex tube the same among all manufactures?

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Pex

There is a difference. Pex is now a commodity and pricing will vary between manufacturer.

Pex with an O2 barrier costs more. Some manufacturers (Viega) have Pex that is certified for both potable and non-potable use.

See: http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/335/Radiant-Hot-Water-Heating/223/PEX-choices
  • PORKCHOP
    pex tubing

what i am concerned about is buying a lower cost tubing by a different manufacture,  both say they are oxygen barrier but one is .20 less per foot,  if pex is made to the same standards for all manufactures is there any difference,  we will be using this tubing in a radiant floor application and will not be using any part of the system for potable water

thanks for your input
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Quality

Like anything else, higher quality requires a higher price. The cheaper brands are chinese and some of them are first class junk.

There are three basic grades of pex: type A, B or C. Type B is the lowest. Type A is expandable (like Rehau) and has a life expectancy of 200 years.

I personally prefer to use pex-al-pex in slab because it's easier to control and keep in place, but it also has different levels of quality.

Considering how permanent a slab is and how difficult if not impossible it is to repair a tubing failure, I would only use the best. The cost is not that more if viewed from the total job cost. The risk is not worth saving a few cents per foot.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Look at the one attached.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Pex Types

The Pex types of A,B and C has nothing to due with the quality. It defines the process in which the Pex was produced. All Pex meets the same standard, it has to. With that said, PEX produced in the "A" known as the Engle method cross linking process has the greatest consistency of strength because the linking is even throughout which is the reason it can be expanded and a kink can be easily removed with a heat gun. The other methods provided inconsistency in the linking.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • PORKCHOP
    reply to chris

thanks for your input

am i understanding you correct when you say even though all pex would be made to the same standard we still need to be concerned with the grade level that is a referring to the consistency for the cross linking process which gives the pipe the strength and the ability to respond back to its shape

the types that i am familiar with is pex, b pex with oxygen barrier, and pex al pex with oxygen barrier but holds it shape better and easier to work with

when we go to purchase the pex where will we find this a b c rating at

the job i am working with the customer purchased all of the tubing and installed the tubing in the floor we are to provide the manifolds and piping from the manifolds back to the mechanical room, i will be using 3/4 b pex back to mechanical room and then converting to hard copper to the distribution system

i know he bought some cheap oxygen barrier pex from the internet to install in the floor but a grade level was never mentioned

thanks again for your help and your advice it will be well accepted 
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Pex

This quick read about the methods may help you. Simply find out what brand the internet peddler is peddling and then go to the mfg website to find out which method it was made in.

There are only 2 Pex "A" manufactures selling in the US. Rheau which imports it and Uponor/Wirsbo which manufactures it right in the good ole USA. Uponor has been doing this since 1968 and woukd be the grandfather of pex in comparison to other manufacturers. They also make an Alum barrier composite pex like the others out there.

http://www.uponorpro.com/~/media/Extranet/Files/CDAM/CDAM_Manual_7thEd_0711_Ch3.aspx?sc_lang=en
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • PORKCHOP
    reply to chris

thanks again

after reading your replay and reading through the document from upnor it seems to be only one choice.

now i understand why there are cheaper pex products and the risk that would be involved if used,  this is a risk tha ti will not take

i like that remark aout the bitter taste of a poor installation, so true

thanks
This discussion has been closed.