Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

White-Rodgers zone valves make my head ache

Options
We have a system that we're adding an indirect WH to and would like to use an Argo AZ6CP panel.  There are WR 1311 3 wire zone valves existing and we're adding a Taco for the indirect.  I've been looking at the installation instructions for the 1311 ZVs for an hour and still haven't really wrapped my head around just what is happening.  I feel like this every time we run into these ZVs.

It looks like terminal 5 in the t-stat and on the ZV gets constant power from the transformer and  power to 4 or 6 close or open the ZV.  For the life of me, I can't tell which does which though.  And I'm not 100% comfortable in my assessment that 5 gets constant power.

It also looks to me that 2/5 and 3 connect to TT on the aquastat.

Any chance anyone has a wiring diagram for wiring these zone valves to an Argo AZ6CP panel?  Or failing that, could someone tell me which terminals power the ZV open and which terminals power it closed?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    WR zone valve

Your on the right track.

On the valve itself

terminal 1 is common, 2 is hot, 5 is the same as 2 (convenience connection) 4 is power to open valve, 6 is power to close, 3 is the end switch (2 to 3) which is hot once the valve is fully open.

On the T-stat, 5 is hot all the time, 4 is hot when there is a heat demand, 6 is hot when there is no heat demand.

See page 13 on the link

wire 5 and 4 from the t-stats to TT on the zone panel. isolate terminal 6 from the t-stat

Unfortunately the argo panel does not give detail to what the 4 terminals on the valve connections do. You may want to call them to check compatibility.

If I had to guess, I'd say wire terminal 1 from the zone valve to terminal 2 on the panel, wire terminal 4 on the valve to terminal 1 on the panel, and wire terminal 6 from the valve to terminal 3 on the panel.

http://www.ecrinternational.com/secure/upload/document/1553.pdf
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    The 1311 is a power to open

power to close SPDT Series 20 control. It will not work with what you are trying to do.  Remove that head and use a 1361 head SPST it will fit the body of the existing valve
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    White Rodgers zone valves

The worst schematic install instruction sheets ever written! We stock and work on them all the time. One of my mechanics is the one who is out on em most and he has it down. The rest of us always have to study schematic for the 3 wire zone valves.  Good luck, they do work well when wired well.  Thank goodness they got rid of the stab connections, six zone valves with loose wires were a nightmare.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Buy my manual

"Hydronic Control Systems" we breakdown the operation of just about every zone valve ever made including those that are SPDT (Old Honeywell Series 20).
This discussion has been closed.