Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Natural/Propane gas

Jack Kagan
Jack Kagan Member Posts: 9
Replacing an old borken oil boiler with a gas boiler, but utiltity can't run gas inot house for at least 8 weeks.  Can a gas-fired heating hot water boiler run on natural gas and/or propane without any major changes or adjustments?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Most can

Most boilers can be converted fairly easily. A tech should do the conversion (usually a regulator adjustment and a different orifice) and check combustion. There are a few boilers (Triangle Tube Prestige 110 is one) that flat out cannot be converted. Be sure to check with the manufacture.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited March 2012
    Two diff...

animals.... most boilers can be converted one way to another. Some require more work that others. We are getting out of heating season.... You could get the boiler piped and ready to go w/ Nat gas and temporarily put an electric in for 2 months....
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Viessmann Vitodens 200

is a duel fuel boiler that allegedly requires no adjustments when going between natural gas and LP. I've not personally run it that way, but have a good friend who has. He said it switched right over, no problem.

Most other boilers, as has been noted, can be run on either fuel with slight modifications. You MUST check the fire side with a combustion analyzer when going one way or the other.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Jack Kagan
    Jack Kagan

Thank you for the information.
  • Jack Kagan
    Jack Kagan

Do you mean install an electric boiler until I get gas?
  • Jack Kagan
    Jack Kaganjkagan

Thank you, I will check it out.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Nat/LP

Zman I just had a Heating contractor ask me this question today. I am the wholesaler and I called Triangle Tube tech and they told me the PS110 LP can be converted to nat gas there is a kit for it.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    water heater....

not a boiler. The LP company will stick it to you if they only have a few months of LP being used. Its in the summer.... you don't need heat....just use a 40 electric for your hot water needs until you have the whole system ready. I do this all the time for my customers as a courtesy.
  • Jack Kagan
    Jack Kagan

Got it. Thanks again.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    PS110 gas changeover

Is different than the rest of the line - requires a new burner head.  Order the PSRKIT10 for NG or the PSRKIT11 for LPG.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Conversions:

Veissmann Vitodens only require you add a disk to the gas valve and temm the brain that it is LP. To convert back, you remove the disk and tell the brain you did it.
  • SWEI
    Lambda control

Is great stuff.

Best I've seen so far is in the Rational combi ovens (another German masterpiece.)  Burns anything from low BTU landfill gas to LPG at any altitude from sea level to 15k feet with only software changes.  Wish we had boilers like that! 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Vitodens 200

Not only will it convert without you telling it (you should anyway), but it will automatically adjust on Nat Gas to 4" and adjust the A/F ratio automatically and give you the proper output. If the pressure is less than .4, it still runs properly, it just doesn't give you the rated output.

As I remember it from the Veissmann School I did last year.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    TT 110

If I recall the propane model can go to gas. It stays derated the same as the propane. The gas model cannot go to propane. It has to do with the mesh material of the sock on the burner. This was true of the previous model. They may have changed it with the new version
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    munchkin

I didn't get the job, but at one point I got a call to change over a Munchkin from natural to LP (the person was moving from the city to the country and wanted to bring their boiler with them). When I called HTP about converting the Munchie, I'm pretty sure they told me that only adjustments to the gas pressure and a combustion analysis be done and they would send a new data plate to show the conversion. (Dungs gas valve).  

Rob
  • SWEI
    those kits

include the new burner screen
This discussion has been closed.