Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking for manual/instructions for an old thermostat...

Hi, was wondering (hoping) someone may have, in an old book or catalog, a manual for this thermostat.

Thanks,

Steve
steve

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    awesome "T" stat Steve

Older than some of the relics I have kept throughout the years. No batteries or electric required for that one. Here a just a few of mine. Two of these are new , still in the box, the black and white T86's are a set back system that an old customer made and used! Just toggle back and forth.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    nice.....

I found a catalog on this site that shows a similiar one from 1920's, but cant figure out all the knobs, and buttons. Nice little work of art from a time when America made everything--tiny little gears & screws, and the clock still keeps accurate time (if I wind it).
    steve
  • billtwocase
    looks like

It was remanned by Sids years ago. They used letters to identify the dates of reman years ago. 
  • billtwocase
    also

from what I can see, you would adjust  the amount of degrees to set back using the lever on the right. Is that a Honeywell? Can't see the name too good
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    edited March 2012
    Here you go, Steve.

Honeywell Model 12. That's as close as I can get. It's from 1912.
    Retired and loving it.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks Mr. H.

Yeah that about all I could find in your archives.  Thanks for taking your time.
    steve
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Chronotherm

Steve, nice find. I have one down in the basement with about eight layers of paint on it.

It's a Minneapolis pre Honeywell model 77, the clock is on the bottom instead of the top.

These are series ten three wire controls. If you are interested in how a series ten circuit works ask. I have a good friend who lives in a house with an overhead gravity system with original Ideal boiler, Honeywell V155 gas valve and spring wound Chronotherm everything is original and still works perfect. Amazing !
    bob
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks Bob!!

I'm going to take you up on the offer :)

First, let me take some better pics of it, with arrows pointing at all the 'confusing' parts lol.
    steve
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2012
    Series 10

Steve, I was poking around in Dan's library and found a good explanation of series 10

controls. Pages 9,10,11.
    bob
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks Bob

That helps a lot. :)
    steve
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I have a very elderly

lady 96 years old) who I do an annual service call on here equipment. It is an old BRYAN boiler with three zones using V-155 motorized gas valves and three T-105 Chronotherm Series 10 clock thermostats. She has a spare V-155 never taken from the box and two spare T-105's for future replacement. I have been servicing this system since 1967 and have never had a minute of down time even in power failures as the gas valve can be operated manually. The valve requires a couple of drops of FINOL oil (Special for these valves from Honeywell) once at the beginning of the heating season. They do not make them like this anymore.

I still taught Series 10 controls and Series 20 up until about 5 years ago..
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks Tim....

I knew I shouldve asked you first :).  I scoured the patent office website for far too long, and found ones close, but not this particular model.

You wouldnt happen to have a manual for that thermostat, or instructions for one in one of your books?  I would be very interested in purchasing if you did.

Thanks
    steve
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Steve I will look through my library

and see if I have anything. Do you believe it is a Honeywell thermostat? Are there any numbers of marks on the body like MH over top of one another?

Give me a little time as I am tied up for a few days on a court case.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks again Tim....

It's very nice of you to help. Keep in mind there's absolutely no hurry as this is just for my curiosity.

As far as markings, right above the thermometer is reads "Honeywell temperature regulator". The ones I found close to this always say "Minneapolis Honeywell".

Also on the top of the housing is stamped "TYPE R"

When I get a few minutes, I'm going to take a few screws out to check for a patent #.
    steve
  • STEVEusaPA
    Mystery solved....

Curiosity got the best of me. Took it apart, found the patent #,1171955, patented on Feb15, 1916, by none other then Mark C. Honeywell himself. Titled. "Automatic Thermostat Control".

Would still be interested from anyone to find some literature, or a picture of it in a catalog.

Thanks from everyone for all the input.
    steve
This discussion has been closed.