Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floor with domestic h20

I have a room with under floor radiant that will be connecting off of a domestic tank, i am going to use a 2 circuit manifold. Any decent piping diagrams would be helpful.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    don't do it....

plain and simple. You are contaminating your water supply and risk harming your heath.... Use a separate heating set up.
  • Vito200
    Vito200 Posts: 4

This is a Vertex with seperate hydronic tappings
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    They are not made for radiant heating

they are made to go to an air handler with a round trip of less than 50 feet total. Radiant heat is a breeding ground for bacteria and should only be connected through a heat exchanger to this unit.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Closed?

Unless the heater has a "closed" hydronic coil. Don't do it. Just because some manufactures are enabling people to put in unsafe systems, it is still the wrong way to do it.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    ditto

Ditto. 
  • Vito200
    Radiant h20

I am using a plate heat exchanger , any piping diagrams?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Personal preference

There are quite a few ways to do this. How much detail are you looking for? You need to pump from the hot water heater in the exchanger. My plan for the other side would be to use a variable speed pump controlled by a tekmar 356 with outdoor reset to in inject the water into the radiant loop from the exchanger. This way you can control the floor temps and avoid dragging down the hotwater temp using the boiler protection feature on the controller. You will of course need air eliminators,zone valves, pumps ect. to control the radiant side.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • duffy_4
    duffy_4 Member Posts: 79
    Taco x block

Just used the taco x block on two separate installs here in the city ,4 units of a condo complex I found with open systems,worked beautifully simplified piping in a tight spot.still trying to convince other two owners to change theirs or at the least not used it as is.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I 2nd..

the X-block. A sinple all in one design ... air seperation, HX, and control. They have nice diagrams. http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1326240192388/70252_PROD_FILE.pdf
  • Vito200

Good Call looks like the best approach using the Taco x block

Thanks
  • Sol Hydronics
    Sol Hydronics Member Posts: 41
    X block

I have used the X block on a water heater to go to just a bath floor with outdoor reset and no t-stat and it works great
This discussion has been closed.