Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multimeters

What multimeters do you recommend? Have any of you used the Victor 88E?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    meters........i have a few...

That's a great meter, got one when I took a firedragon class, and have been using it ever since.  Also have a Craftsman clamp on, about 20 years old, and an EXTECH EX23.  They all do different things, different ways.  Having more then one lets you leave on clamped on, or one reading a cad cell, while your checking other things.  Most important to me is peak hold (all 3), 2 k type connectors, (extech), clamp on, (sears/extech), IR and capacitance.  You'll probably need more then one, and go through more then one.  If you on a job with someone who has a different meter, try theirs out too.
    steve
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    I also recommend

the Victor 88E which can be purchased from www.firedragonent.com
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Only..

Fluke.  Only Fluke.

I have at least a dozen. All different. For what I do, a meter is the most important tool besides a screwdriver.

Spend the money once. Buy the best.
    Al Corelli, NY

914-804-2234
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    meters

Agree on the needing multiple meters; I have a nice Greenlee CMT-80 auto-ranging clamp-on recommended by an electrician friend but the problem with most auto-ranging meters is it has limited range on resistance, I can't read 10K sensors with it, so I use a cheap hardware store meter for that, I also picked up a UEI MCP-4 analog meter at the wholesalers for half price which is handy for seeing spikes & voltage drops as they happen, like with heat pumps & stuff.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Ditto

I feel the same way.

Except, for temperature, or pressure measurement I'm okay with UEI. For combustion testing I like Bacharach.

For anything Electrical- Volts, amps, ohms Fluke gets my vote hands down. I have probably 7 or 8 different meters. I use my Fluke 16 the most.

The reason I'm hooked on fluke is because it's a tool even my father could not break. Dropped of ladders, stepped on, spilled on with coffee. Out in the cold, or extreme heat, they just keep working and accurately.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    meters

A bunch of 'em:

Fluke 189, 87 III, 8060A, 12 (DMMs)

Fluke 337 (clamp)

Extech DC400 (low amp clamp)

Caveat: I began my professional career as an EE.
This discussion has been closed.