Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Convert Steam To Vapor

Hello everyone,

I need your advice. I am trying to figure out if it is possible or practical to convert all of the one pipe and two pipe steam systems that my company services into vapor system. I would like these buildings which are running on say 2 lbs of pressure to heat the entire building on 4 - 8 ounces. Imagine the fuel savings if this was possible not to mention the business opportunity.

I know this is a challenge since steam systems were designed to run on 1-1/2 to 2 lbs and vapor parts are hard to come by but if we put our heads together we can do this. We all stand to benefit. All information will be kept public on this site.

Thanks,

Vinny

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Thats a great idea Vinny

Most of the guys around here are running the pressures you suggest, and lower.  But don't feel bad, most of my good ideas turn out to be illegal.  
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Possible, but "Practical" Depends

What do you mean by vapor? How would you do this conversion?

A few months ago there was a series of threads on (essentially) the Paul system- a way to retrofit one pipe steam to operate under a vacuum. This is supposed to do wonderful things for efficiency, among other things. I've got plans to take on this project myself with my own one pipe system. Eventually. And there may be the rub.

I tend to think that the folks on the Wall are ahead of the curve when it comes to steam heat. Unfortunately, much of steam heat community still trudges along with the knuckledraggers that convince them that copper headers are fine and that water hammer is normal. While I believe the Wall is doing more than its share to change the tide (how about Gorton struggling to keep up with demand for #2s!!) we've probably got a ways to go before lots of folks are ready to spend the $$$ on retrofit options like this.

That's where you come in. Do it. Give it a try. Keep good records. Then report the results here.

Good luck,

Patrick
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    one pipe vacuum

As I've said in Paul post, I've seen multi-story one pipe negative pressure systems.

I believe that they were pretty well sealed against infiltration. They were evacuated like a refrigeration system & then degassed water was added. When total pressure went too much over saturation system was evacuated again. I think this was necessary only periodically. Every six weeks or something? It's been almost forty years that I was involved.

Trouble is you have to expose every connection and goop it. Alternative is automated vacuum generator.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Lower pressure = lower cost + happy occupants!

Just crank the pressure down using a vaporstat and G-L-P gauge, and plenty of main venting. Use the original radiator vents which should be Hoffman 40's. If you have tall risers/many stories, you may need riser vents or fast vents on those rads only.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.