Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler not starting

Options
Raj
Raj Member Posts: 10
My oil/ steam boiler has not turned on with thermostat 4 times in the last one week.

Each time I hit the reset button on the boiler and it restarts immediately, but within 24 hours it happens again. Happened over weekend twice and couldn't call my usual boiler guy bc he doesn't work on weekends,so I used the guys from petro who I have service contract with for emergencies. First time they cleaned electronic ignition and blamed lint from my dryer, second time they changed the electronic ignition unit but I am still having same problem.

Any thoughts? Is it a fuse of some sort or bigger problem with motor? Other times it starts without problem but basically every 24 hrs I am hitting restart to start boiler

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    thermocouple or gas valve?

I'm just a homeowner with an old system,...no electronic ignition.  Mine is currently doing the same with the pilot light and I've been told it's a sticky valve due to the aging diaphragm.    We had thought it could be the thermocouple, until we found out ours doesn't have one. ...only a 2-wire system. However, on yours  that could cause it not to light.  For what it's worth.

CTD
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    This is a job

for a burner tech who knows his job -- not a parts changer -- and who will check and adjust your burners correctly.  You don't specify whether this is gas or oil, and the possible causes are somewhat different for the two.  But whatever, the burner needs to be correctly adjusted.

And remember: never, ever hit the reset button more than once!  If the thing doesn't light off after one push of the reset, turn it off completely, get out the blankets and call a competent burner tech.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.