Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Refrigerant Leak Detectors

Options
I'm looking for recommendations for leak detectors. Something that can reliably do R-22 and R-410a primarily. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    I use a

Tif ZX-1, and it works very well.

However I have noticed it works best with cfc's such as r-22. So on trouble 410a units, I reclaim the 410a if there's any left add a trace amount of r22 and pressurize with nitrogen, and this method works very well for me.

Obviously I don't leave the Nitrogen r22 blend in the system.
  • Rich_L
    Rich_L Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks FF15. Unfortunately that's what I have to do with mine now to find a leak in a 410a or 404 system. I'm wondering if there's anything out there that works equally well on both types of refrigerants?

Rich
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    You can try

You might want to try this one:

Yellow Jacket 10M820

It has three sensitivity levels and I have had great success with it.

One general note on leak detection:

It has been assumed for a long time that, "the only acceptable refrigerant that can be used as a trace gas for leak detection purposes is R-22".

The truth of the matter is that any refrigerant can be used as a trace gas, and the preferable refrigerant should be, therefore, the refrigerant that the system will normally operate with.

Many have, incorrectly, stated that the EPA only permits the use of R-22 traces but the EPA makes no reference to the specifics about which refrigerants are permitted and which are not.

Happy January. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.