Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Refrigerant Leak Detectors

Options
I'm looking for recommendations for leak detectors. Something that can reliably do R-22 and R-410a primarily. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    I use a

Tif ZX-1, and it works very well.

However I have noticed it works best with cfc's such as r-22. So on trouble 410a units, I reclaim the 410a if there's any left add a trace amount of r22 and pressurize with nitrogen, and this method works very well for me.

Obviously I don't leave the Nitrogen r22 blend in the system.
  • Rich_L
    Rich_L Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks FF15. Unfortunately that's what I have to do with mine now to find a leak in a 410a or 404 system. I'm wondering if there's anything out there that works equally well on both types of refrigerants?

Rich
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    You can try

You might want to try this one:

Yellow Jacket 10M820

It has three sensitivity levels and I have had great success with it.

One general note on leak detection:

It has been assumed for a long time that, "the only acceptable refrigerant that can be used as a trace gas for leak detection purposes is R-22".

The truth of the matter is that any refrigerant can be used as a trace gas, and the preferable refrigerant should be, therefore, the refrigerant that the system will normally operate with.

Many have, incorrectly, stated that the EPA only permits the use of R-22 traces but the EPA makes no reference to the specifics about which refrigerants are permitted and which are not.

Happy January. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Eugene
This discussion has been closed.