Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this vent CPVC?

Options
Kestrel
Kestrel Member Posts: 102
This is a Lochinvar WHN085.  I purchased 2" CPVC to do the vent and air intake, and it's quite a different color than I expected.

The material I bought from the supply house is a light beige.  The vent on the boiler (pictured below behind the pressure relief valve) is a much darker gray.  Are they both CPVC?  

Unfortunately I realized this after hours on Friday, and I'm hoping not to have to wait until Lochinvar tech service opens on Monday!

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    wrong stuff

Sounds like you got Cresline Flow Guard Gold which is smaller diameter than the gray CPVC. It's used for hot and cold water piping. I ordered CPVC from a supply house for will call and went to pick it up and thats what they had for me. I've learned since, you need to specify that you're using it for venting a boiler. 
  • Kestrel
    Kestrel Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Dang

I did - I did tell them exactly what it was for.

Is there a specific designation for the darker gray stuff for flue venting?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Check the ASTM numbers....

In the installation manual, it clearly states the ASTM requirements and approval numbers for using different plastics. If the FlowGuard meets those standards, then it is safe to use. If not, return it and make sure they give you the right stuff. ALso make sure the primer and cements you use are also in compliance with the manufacturers requirements. Not all cements and or primers are the same.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Flowguard does not meet the standard.

As previously posted you need CPVC. I use Sch 80 CPVC. It is grey in color and meets the ASTM standard.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Glue

I wasnt aware there was a rating on glue and primer.

Where on the glue does it state ASTM rating?
    :NYplumber:
This discussion has been closed.