Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Furnace help

pasq
pasq Member Posts: 17
The problem I am having is this.  Pilot stays lit. To start the furnace I hit the red button on the gas line and it fires up furnace.  Once temp in house reaches the programmed temp on the termostat it shuts down like it should but never kicks back on once temp in house drops.  I pulled red and white wires and crossed them but it doesn't fire up furnace.  When I cross the tstat wire the relay does click but doesnt fire up furnace.  Do you guys think the gas valve is bad or the control box?  Or something else I should be looking at?   Thank You in advance for the help. 

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The red button

you are referring to is it on the gas valve? If so you probably need to replace the thermocouple and at the same time clean the pilot. Does the tubing for the pilot come from the main gas line shut off?

A picture of the gas valve and gas manifold would help in confirming what I think you have.
  • pasq
    edited December 2011
    red button

The red button is before the thermocouple.  It pumps more gas when pressed.  I am pretty sure the pilot comes from the main gas line shut off.  I will have to get in front of it again to get pictures.  The setup doesnt have a typical gas valve with the knob on top that you turn for pilot, on and off.  The gas line comes in from the main line.  There is a white rogers valve the size of a box of cigarettes then the red button then the thermocouple.  Hope that description makes sense.
  • pasq
    red button

The red button is before the thermocouple.  It pumps more gas when pressed.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Pilot

Is the pilot lit the whole time, or does it go out?
  • pasq
    edited December 2011
    pilot does not go out

pilot does not go out is stays lit the whole time
  • furnacefigher15
    voltage

Is there voltage to the valve?

If you are unable to test, its time to call an hvac company.
  • pasq
    voltage test

How many volts should I have at the gas valve?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    20 plus years old?

I'd be willing to bet your furnace is 20 + years or older.  What it sounds like, is the old style "Baso" pilot safety.  The pilot burner needs to be cleaned which in turn will provide a stronger pilot flame to t-couple.  This should be done by a professional as is can be tricky to access........

Mike T.
  • Tim McElwain
    It sounds like

you have an older system with a constant pilot, that is why the pilot does not go out. You probably need a thermocouple however there is a procedure for testing a thermocouple in "Resources" above click on it and then "Library" and look for "Tim McElwains Closet" then Procedure for Testing Thermocouples". Use the charts from the same area.

Or you could try just replacing the thermocouple!
  • pasq
    pilot flame

Looked at pilot flame and its yellow not blue
  • Tim McElwain
    Here is the deal

On a call for heat 24 volts typically is applied to the gas valve, the "red" button safety must be engaged for gas to pass through the valve even though you may have 24 volts to the valve. The reason the pilot stays lit even though the burner does not come on is that you probably have a non 100% shut-off system (older systems with thermocouples worked this way). The fact that the pilot is yellow says it needs to be removed and the orifice inside the pilot needs cleaned or replaced. As long as someone goes to the trouble of removing the pilot to clean it then replace the thermocouple using either a BASO Gas Controls LLC (Formerly Johnson Controls) thermocouple or a Honeywell thermocouple. As others have stated here if you are not a professional then I strongly recommend you call someone who is familiar with such procedures. You may also want to have them look for possible cracks in your heat exchanger and do a combustion analysis on the furnace.
  • pasq
    Gas company cameout

They cleaned pilot and installed new autopilot.  Billed me $287 and still doesn't work.  They said they have to send their lead tech out tomorrow.  They make it obvious that they don't like working on such an old system.  They claim that I won't be able to get parts for it in the very near future.  He said he tested gas valve and its fine.  He is claiming I may need to revamp the system for $800.  At that point he says I should just get a new furnace.  Easy for him to say!
  • furnacefigher15
    Lead Tech?

Sounds like the gas company is a bunch of buffoons. They billed you to not fix the problem. If they put in a part that didn't solve the problem, they should have taken it back out and not billed you for it. If it was working when they left, that's different, but if he stuck you with a bill knowing full well, he fixed nothing, that was a dis-service.

What is an auto pilot? a Pilot re-lite kit?

If the pilot safety switch, thermocouple, or gas valve was bad, any heating guy with half a brain should be able to figure that out.

If the tech they sent out was not up to the task of servicing a basic furnace, then it should not be your responsibility to pay for his training.

I would demand the whole dollar amount back, or applied to the real repair.
This discussion has been closed.