Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

squeeling oil burner??

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
Hey,

I'm posting this a few days after seeing the actual burner.  A friend of mine has a WM hot water boiler.  I *think* its a WGO gold series boiler with a Beckett burner.  Problem is I cannot remember what model burner it was other than it is NOT an AFG. 

Burner seemed to run good but kept squeeling occasionally.  the squeel had a very metallic sound to it.  To me it sounded like a bearing issue but I know close to nothing about these burners.  Is this a sign of a soon to come failure?  Is there any preventitive maintaince that should be done?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    sounds

like something is in need of attention (squeaky wheel get's the grease) I would identify the part and find a solution to it before the unit shut's down when most needed....
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sounds like

a bad PSC motor to me
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Squealers:

It's the Pig Iron in the motor.
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    clogged pump strainer

sounds like a clogged pump strainer to me,a lot of do it your self do not even know the pump have a strainer.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    clogged

And/or a clogged canister filter.
  • billtwocase
    That was my second thought

but it would be coughing after a few seconds of a major pump whine. Is there a rumble or stutter when it is squealing?
  • ChrisJ
    squeeling

No other noticeable sounds other than the squealing.

To me it sounds like a bearing or bushing ready to go.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    Squealers:

More like Vacuum Whine caused by high vacuum in the fuel pump. Usually caused by a clogged filter or pump strainer. If any of the above, will next cause the nozzle strainer to be restricted and loose pressure at the nozzle tip. Causing smoke and soot. Then shut downs.

You need to call a professional and have it serviced. If you had to ask what the noise is, you do not have an understanding of the process or the experience and skill to resolve it. There is no "Universal Nozzle" to use. It must be an exact replacement. It needs to combustion tested.

Anyone of the techs who have responded here to you would know what to do within a moment of hearing it. What sounds like a noise to you, has a cause and remedy to us.

Call a Professional.
  • ChrisJ
    Don't have the skill?? Seriously?

Icesailor perhaps I'm reading your post wrong but I find it insulting. You essentially said I don't have the skill to change fuel filters or replace a nozzle with an exact replacement.
  • billtwocase
    I wouldn't

take that offensively Chris. Although we give you some reference to resolving an issue, I personally would not like to see or hear of advice gone bad. It's always best to get a pro, but I do see many here asking questions because they are paying top dollar to "pro's" and are still having problems. There is 2 sides as always. Good luck, and let us know how you make out
  • ChrisJ
    edited December 2011
    Bill

I have no doubt someone who knows what they are doing should look at it.

Whether I have all the skill in the world still doesn't change the fact I don't have the tools to do a combustion analysis. I also realize someone who works on these constantly will know what causes a sound or a problem immediately as they have seen it a hundred times.

As you may know I also had a very bad experience with a "pro" which almost killed my family due to a plugged chimney. The really bad part is I specifically asked him to check the stack draft. I now have my own manometer.

I just found icesailors post insulting. Maybe its simply how I read it, sometimes things come across completely wrong via text.
  • billtwocase
    I can't blame you Chris

and I'm sorry to hear of a near fatality. I think that the testing is the key, and that is what was stressed mainly I think. Kudos to you for wanting to remedy a situation. It is a tough position for us. We want to help steer people in the right direction, but we gotta be tactful on how and who we give info to. In your case, changing a possible motor shouldn't be too bad, just shut off all power to the unit, and check to make sure that is is off.
  • Sensi Jimmy
    Sensi Jimmy Member Posts: 7
    dirty oil lines

All could be clean up top but the oil lines to the tank may be dirty .                        Is the tank buired , 2 lines to burner  or 1 line from basement tank?
  • icesailor
    Squealing:

As a string goes along, the origonal post gets lost in translation and the responses can go astray. The first post spoke about a metallic whine or squeal. I replied that it must be the Pig Iron in the motor. Then it devolved into pumpos and filters and vacuum whine.

The discussion went astray. I never questioned your ability. I was questioning the ability of the unknown person who the discussion devolved to. Someone that had a vacuum whine from dirty filters. You weren't asking about filters Someone else was.
  • ChrisJ
    icesailor

Understood. I had a feeling I was simply misinterpreting what you had said.

Tank is in the basement with a single line. I'm sure hes going to have someone come look at it I just wanted to give him an idea of what to expect. For example a simple tune up or a big bill.

After installing my boiler a month ago I have ZERO interest of doing any work on any boiler ever again.
This discussion has been closed.