Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Takagi run on a "grill" tank

PeterM
PeterM Member Posts: 3
I'd like to run my TK-Jr on a small 20 pound  "grill  "  propane tank.

I've been told that propane won't vaporize fast enough,  in that small

tank, to supply the TK-Jr with 140 000 BTU's/ hour.

Also, the liquid will freeze the the valves and burst them, leading to an explosion.

Do you have any suggestions?

Peter

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    you can't....

pipe it conventionally to a 100# tank outside? short cuts are not advised.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Grill Tanks:

You also can't run the Takagi on a 20# cylinder because there is a maximum BTU restriction device that stops the flow if it is too high.

Its amazing hw much money you can save doing it wrong the first time.
  • PeterM
    Takagi run on a "grill" tank

Folks, I would really like to do this , for reasons I could explain, it's a long story.

But, would anyone who has strong negative feelings, about this, please explain

in more detail. I'm hoping to make a modification to the Takagi , to throttle it down ,

to require a maximum of , say 40 000 BTU's / hour.

And, do I understand this correctly , a grill tank has a device that limits the flow ,

or shuts it off completely, in case of high flow?

Peter   
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Simple answer

it is a violation of NFPA 58 and NFPA 54. Besides that you are going use a lot of 20 lb tanks. Get your local propane company involved and let them specify a correct setup for you. Otherwise we may read about you in the paper.
  • PeterM
    will two 40 pound propane tanks ,

Will  two 40 pound propane tanks , in parallel , provide about the 

(roughly ) same amount of propane vapor as one 100 pound tank?

My local grocery store does an exchange of 40 pound tanks, which are much easier to transport , than one 100 pound tank.

Peter
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Takagi/Grill Tank:

Look,

What you are describing is illegal. You are trying to do something that is illegal. I don't think that any professional here wants to help you do something that is illegal. There is a way to do this. A proper way. If you want to do it properly, I (we) will be more than happy to tell you. You obviously have a serious issue with something or someone.

I've done some unusual schitt in my time. That doesn't mean that I would tell you what or how I did something.

If you look hard enough, you will find a HABYM (half **** backyard mechanic) to connect this up for you. If and/or when it doesn't work, call the HABYM. Let us know how it works and please post pictures. Some of us here love to see pictures of how something shouldn't be done. We have years of training on how it SHOULD be done. Learning the right and wrong is all part of learning
This discussion has been closed.