Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ARE BOILER VENT DAMPERS INTERCHANGEABLE?

Options
oopsplumber
oopsplumber Member Posts: 14
Hi guys:

I have a CG-6 gas boiler and it needs a vent damper. The guy at my supply house who can be helpfull but can also be an idiot gave me one for a Crown (6" FLUE) and says they are interchangeable. I seem to think they are, as there is only one way to plug the harness in (I THINK) and therfore the wiring will match up fine.

I just want to confirm the above before I proceed. I think I will be OK.

??

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    What Make

was the old damper, what make is the new?

There basically three that tend to be used D896 From Honeywell, Johnson Controls, and Effikal which is now Field Controls.

By the way when you click "submit post" it sometimes takes a while to register, do not keep clicking as you will end up with multiple posts. Just wait it will register eventually.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    NO

We are in the middle of a hassle with Hydrotherm  over this. Apparently there are 4 wire and 5 wire dampers and they sent us a new damper but it doesn't work with generic Honeywell aquastats. I'm not sure all of the details as a tech and our rep are working on it. But guaranteed, they don't all interchange! 
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I have a wire color breakdown

that goes like this:

Honeywell D892/896           D80B              Johnson                    Effikal

yellow                              orange              green                  Hot 1  brown

orange                         blue & red              white                 Therm 2 orange

blue                              black                    red                    valve  3 yellow

black                             yellow                 black                 common 4 black

The fifth connection is actually just four the fifth is to blow the internal fuse in the primary control so the system can't operate without the damper connected. Once the fuse blows the primary control will not fire with out the damper.
This discussion has been closed.