Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tripping rollout switch

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
i have a customer that has a goodman gas furnace and has to keep resetting roll out swith. does this mean the he is cracked.

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    2/B frank......?

You Q: in and of itself is why nobody will respond.  "All due Respect", What do you think? 

Are you in this business?

Did you visit this job?

What did you find?

What are you conclusions?

Are there any safe alternatives?

Was this just a phone call???

Sorry, but PLEASE CALL YOUR LOCAL PROFESSIONAL!

I cannot stress this enough.  Seems like everyone has the answer and a quick fix, but It is....!!!!!!!! and could possibly be someones life at Risk or even more dreadful,.an entire FAMILY.

"You have a Customer"????  A Tenant ?

Seek Pro/Help

Mike T.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    This unit needs a pro

and quickly as this is a dangerous situation. I would call the customer back and then go there tonight before you have at the least a fire or worse a carbon monoxide issue.
  • Empire_2
    Thanks Tim...

I know sometimes I sound condescending, but in this case, The RED lights were going off and I said what I said.  Dan, you and all others I have not met yet are a true ASSET to this forum.

Enjoy the TURKEY,....  It's thawed right???lol...:-)=

Mike T.
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    relax

hey empire maybe i was to short on my question. i had a customer call me about a goodman gas furnace that tripped the rollout switch couple of times. i told him to leave it off until i check it out. i have done a good amount of gas service but i have only seen this once before. usually bad ignitors, boards. sensors pressure switches etc i was just asking if this meant heat exchanger might be bad. i didnt do anything unsafe ok. it was a phone call only from this homeowner.i will call goodman on this situation.i think it really got twisted. you really jumped to alot of diffrent assumptions like i did something wrong. i will be very careful if i ask any more questions on this site.i just asked a question in general.you felt so strong that i did something wrong with what i said.i really think i did not go into detail to get a informitive reply, but maybe what do you mean paul gives us more detail would be more polite than jumping on someone. again i did not touch this unit at all. it was just a general question why would this rollout swich trip,thats it!
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The roll out switch

is a safety switch that typically trips due to poor combustion going on inside the heat exchanger causing poor drafting which means the products of combustion could be getting out into the room. The concern here is that the customer called you and you made it appear in your first posting that you wanted to know what would cause this. There was no answer on your part as instructions you gave to the customer. We have no way of knowing your ability or experience. You say you are very experienced on gas systems so I would think you would know this is a potentially dangerous condition. We are always glad to help here sometimes we need a more complete explanation.
  • Empire_2
    Your Q:?

Do not assume that I was jumping to any conclusions.  Read your own post and what would you do?  I apologise if my comments sounded vane.  That was not my intention.  Every year there are numerous articles of CO deaths that may have been avoided and since I can only use words to try to stop this, I commented "Just in case".  Yea the HX could be cracked.  Tim has covered a few senerios.

Thanks

Mike T.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    GMP

Is it a GMP model? Those had a horrid heat exchanger that liked to pop the crimp rings holding it together. First symptom would be an open rollout. 
This discussion has been closed.