Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burnham in5 install

Options
Hi guys, I am installing a burnham in5 to my one pipe steam system. After reading the install manuals it looks like I can hook up my return piping and Hartford loop on either side of the boiler. Am I correct ?

My return piping in my house is copper which runs along the floor of my basement, I am changing the return piping near where it hooks up to the boiler(aprox. 8' away from Hartford loop) should this piping be done in black pipe?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Burnham IN5 Return Tappings

Hi - Look on Page 6 of the IN-5  I&O manual on the subject of section tappings. You can use either "D" or "F" for the return port. Both are 2 inch tappings.

As for the return, you can do it in either black pipe or copper as it isn't a steam bearing pipe.

- Rod
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,202
    Options
    Joining Pipe

We use a brass fitting when transitioning from copper to steel pipe.  It avoids corrosion. 
  • Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Corrosion

I would not say it eliminates corrosion, just slows it down a bit. I would wager that pipe dope or teflon tape will do more to prevent corrosion.

http://www.corrosionist.com/galvanic_corrosion_chart.htm
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited October 2011
    Options
    galvanic corrosion

i think most of the problems were with galvanized iron pipe, joined to copper. the copper and zinc are very reactive with each other.--nbc
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,202
    Options
    Corrosion

We use a brass fitting when transitioning from copper to steel pipe.  It avoids corrosion.

It probably doesn't eliminate corrosion.  Jobs we did thirty years ago show no corrosion at these connections.  Anyone depending on Teflon tape to isolate two metals won't be in business for long, and won't pass an inspection in New York City.
This discussion has been closed.