Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chimney liners

Options
Stan_5
Stan_5 Member Posts: 22
I was wondering if someone could help me with a chimney liner question. We are installing a 90% direct vent furnace and pulling a flexible metal liner down an exterior chimney for the water heater. The chimney was relined recently with a cast in place lining system. Does the metal liner need to be installed or does the cast in place lining system take its place.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    edited October 2011
    Options
    What are the interior dimensions

of the existing chimney? What is the BTU input of the water heater? Is the existing chimney without the liner acceptable to the local inspector?
  • Stan_5
    Stan_5 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    chimney liners

The existing chimney was 6 3/4 x 6 3/4 inside dimension but because of the cast in place liner its less, maybe at most 5". The water heater is about 40,000 btu's input. I was wondering if the cast in place would insulate the chimney enough so that the water heater could vent into the chimney without a metal liner. I don't know if it would be acceptable to the local inspector or not. I can't seem to find any info on line that addresses this. Perhaps its best to just pull the liner but why do it if it's not necessary. I don't know the height of the chimney, a fellow co-worker asked me about this so I thought I would do some digging for him.
  • PeterNH
    PeterNH Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Liner

If it's a "Golden Flue" there should be no problem.

Peter
This discussion has been closed.