Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to drain Novan FX 1000D

greensy
greensy Member Posts: 2
I have a 29 year old Novan FXB 1000D heat exchanger.  I now need to replace my roof and need to drain the Bray oil out of the system.  I have a 2 page data sheet on  the system which diagrams the system but does not describe how to drain the Bray oil.

I am discarding the system so need to get all of the fluid out o the solar panels.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Good luck with that...

Those modules had a special quick coupler on them that were made exclusively for Novan. Short of taking them off, it is nothing less than difficult to get the oil out of the system.

Brayco 888 is not real flammable under room temperatures, but it will dissolve any asphalt shingles it comes into contact with.

Are you in the Denver area per chance?

Getting rid of the Bray Oil can be done by turning it over to a recycler (Checker Auto Parts) You also might consider selling it on E Bay. I don't think you can buy it on the open market any more.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • greensy
    greensy Member Posts: 2
    Need to drain Novan FX 1000D

Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm located outside of  Boston.  The last time I had anybody work on the system was in 1999 when a bird (or other animal) chewed the wires and it stopped working.  I am not sure who I would call to do drain the system this at this point but would rather do it myself if I can.

The stone lined storage tank leaked about 4 years ago and I stopped using the system.

I am willing to discard the heat exchanger since I don't use the system.  How do I identify the couplers?  Do I just  cut them off with a hack saw and  the fluid will drain out?

Any idea how much fluid might be in the system?  I have two solar panels on my roof.

Thanks very much for your help.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited October 2011
    Silver connectors...

They are about 3/4" in diameter with a center plunger. They are actually a hydraulic quick disconnect like used on back hoes and other removable hydraulic powered equipment. Remember, this stuff is under pressure, and if it comes int contact with any other hydrocarbon products (carpet, paint etc) it WILL most probably dissolve the other material.

Under NO circumstances do you want to attempt to drain this system when in direct sunshine, unless you are in to third degree burns...

Once you have relieved the pressure, you can unscrew the connectors and replace them with boiler drains and properly drain the system and dispose of the Brayco 888. FWIW, Brayco 888 was originally developed as a hydraulic fluid for the Space Shuttle.

Proceed with caution.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.