Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus keeps water hot, even with both zones OFF

Options
I have a 1-year old Buderus Oil-heat system, with forced hot water circulation to two zones. Boiler is Logano G115 and controller is Logamatic R2107.

The Logamatic is in AUTO mode and the 2 zones have new Honeywell Digital wall-mounted thermostats.

My problem is that the Buderus system keeps the water hot in the boiler, even when there is no heat demand for days. In the Fall & Spring we can have many days in a row where no heat is needed, yet the boiler kicks in every 4 hours or so to maintain the water temperature. This seems a needless waste of oil to me. Even with the Honeywells turned to the OFF position, the Buderus keeps kicking on, keeping that water hot. In the winter I can see that it might be an advantage to keep the water hot for faster heating response...but not this time of year.

Is there any adjustment I can make to the Logamatic? At the moment, I have to keep an eye on the weather and manually switch the whole controller OFF if I don't see any cold weather on the horizon, and turn it back ON when I want heat. Seems a bit ridiculous....

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Hot Boilers:

On the off chance you do not have an indirect hot water heater, the boiler shouldn't run. The boiler should get cold. This is a good thing. When it starts, it will usually condense, making the foulest crap you have ever tried to clean. If a boiler is a "Warm Start", whatever is left behind by the combustion process is usually a fine brown ash that can be swept up with a radiator brush and vacuumed to look like new. "Cold Start" on the other hand has this hard, thick crud with "Kibbles And Bits" all around that need a wire brush and elbow grease to loosen up.

As one who cleans boilers as something to fill in what I do, I hate cleaning cold start boilers. In fact, I would hope that you would get someone else. If it is a warm start, I can make it like new.

But everyone says cold start is good. I've never seen any accurate figures of one over the other.
  • DavidMc
    DavidMc Member Posts: 3
    Options
    no, there is no water heater on the system

No, I do not have a water heater connected to the system (mine is all-electric).

So you say it should go cold, instead of keep kicking in.

Do you happen to know if there is a "warm start/cold start" option in the Logamatic?

I wasn't really thinking about ease of cleaning, more concerned about the needless waste of oil for a (supposedly) high efficiency boiler system.
  • DavidMc
    DavidMc Member Posts: 3
    Options
    no, there is no water heater on the system

No, I do not have a water heater connected to the system (mine is all-electric).

So you say it should go cold, instead of keep kicking in.

Do you happen to know if there is a "warm start/cold start" option in the Logamatic?

I wasn't really thinking about ease of cleaning, more concerned about the needless waste of oil for a (supposedly) high efficiency boiler system.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited October 2011
    Options
    sounds like

Sounds like something is wrong in the control. Whether its a false call for heat or a malfunction or a wiring mistake. I would have someone come in and take a look..btw, get your service done in the spring, that way it doesnt sit all summer and cause bigger issues..
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE

http://www.e-comfortusa.com/PDF_files/Buderus/buderus_r2107_operating_instructions.pdf

Starting at page 22. Specifically on page 37.

You might have the boiler set up to maintain a minimum temperature for optional DHW use.
  • MaMa
    MaMa Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Possibility

Please note I am just a homeowner, and I don't even have a logamatic on my system -- I am just looking at installing one.  But I just happended to notice this thread title on the most recent posts list, and it sounds to me that it could be caused by the WWSD (warm weather shutdown) configuration being set at too high a temperature, or the delay in triggering it is too many days for your needs, or even that WWSD function is turned off completely (though I'm not sure if that is possible with logamatic?  Or that the logamatic is not set up properly & thinks there is DWH, as someone else mentioned.  Check pages 35-37 of the operating manual:

http://www.buderus.us/files/201006231702550.6720618081_2107_Operating.pdf

Good luck David.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Minimum Boiler Temp.

The 2107 will maintain a 104* minimum boiler temp until it reaches WWSD. The control operates from its reset curve, not from demand in space heating. This may seem inefficient, but it's not - the Germans know what their doing.

Adjust the WWSD lower if necessary or lower the curve below 70*
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.