Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Massachusetts oil supply line code

Options
LittleT
LittleT Member Posts: 6
Hello

The new law for oil supply lines it needs to have a regulator valve and a protective sheath around the oil line. Can you put a sheath around the line or do you need to buy a line with the sheath already around it. I was told the inspector may want the line with the sheath already attached to it.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited September 2011
    Options
    you can

either install an OSV at the tank, or run a new protected oil supply line from the tank to the burner, and it must be continuous. You can either run the copper tubing thru a non-metallic sleeve, or easier to buy the precoated oil line. The catch here is that if it needs to be done, a licensed oil tech must pull the form 1 with the fire prevention/fire department to perform the work, or if it already complies, a form 1A from a licensed oil tech is needed. Sounds like you are doing the work yourself? Unless you can get a licensed guy/girl to walk the plank for you, the work that you are doing will not satisfy the law. Have your oil company get you into compliance. You need the paper trail.  Good luck  To add, you only need one or the other to satisfy the law, not both new line and OSV
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    form 1a

i thought there was only one form from the state for new mass law. the form 1a is the only one i have been using for new lines and ones that were already up to code. if there is another one what is it and where do you get it. i also did not think you had to go to the fire dept, all you had to do was give the homeowner the form 1a and they would send a copy to their homeowners insurance company.
  • Paul_69
    Options
    form 1a

i thought there was only one form from the state for new mass law. the form 1a is the only one i have been using for new lines and ones that were already up to code. if there is another one what is it and where do you get it. i also did not think you had to go to the fire dept, all you had to do was give the homeowner the form 1a and they would send a copy to their homeowners insurance company.
  • Paul_69
    Options
    form 1a

• billtwocase
    Options
    Form 1

is the permit to alter if the line is not compliant, and needs to be brought into compliance. As long as it is a continuous protective sleeve that the line runs thru, all is ok. It can be water line, PVC, liquid tite, etc.
  • Paul_69
    Options
    oil line cde

yes i know but is form 1a and form 1 the same form
  • Paul_69
    Options
    oil line cde

yes i know but is form 1a and form 1 the same form
  • billtwocase
    Options
    no

Form 1A is a form that it complies, Form 1 is a permit. Two different animals
  • Kena
    Kena Member Posts: 1
    Options
    What type of plastic line

The new law requires that the oil line have a protective sleeve (or OSV). It doesn't specify what type or what standard this protective sleeve must meet or comply with. 

1. What are the specs for it?

2. Does an oil line that was buried in a concrete berm (with the older type gray liner) require a change?

3. Can an oil line with a proper protective sleeve be buried in concrete berm even though it is not visible its entire length?
  • billtwocase
    edited July 2012
    Options
    protective sleeve

Kena, If it is a continuous non-metalic protective sleeve from the tank to the burner, you are good. It can be a garden hose, PVC, water line, etc. It must prevent the copper from coming in contact with cement or earth. It can be covered by cement as long as it is in the protective sleeve. If someone is unsure if it is a continuous sleeve, either run a new line, or add an OSV. That would need a permit ( Form 1 ). If it is determined that it already complies, your service person needs to supply you with a Form 1A.  Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.