Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Truck Inventory

Question about inventory you are keeping on your truck. What parts are you keeping? OEM, universal, standing pilot parts, millivolt, space heater, etc.

Interested if your inventory list has changed that much in the last 10 years?

Working on an inventory list for heating parts, why I am asking.

Thanks in Advance!

Don in MO

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    My Troubleshooting Guide #1

is a list of recommended parts to carry for servcing gas heating equipment. E-mail me at gastc@cox.net and I will send it to you by postal mail. Be sure and give your mailing address in the e-mail.
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    Thanks Tim

Tim,

Do you think that the advances in technology prevent contractors from having  a good inventory on the trucks?

I know there are universal parts, but they can't be used for warranty and a lot is still OEM.

Don in MO
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Yes that is a real problem

My list does not include any Mod/Con equipment parts as those are so diverse there is absolutely no interchangeability or universal replacement parts for those.

In the non Mod/Con equipment there have been some great advances in Universal replacement Integrated Furnace Controls from Honeywell and White Rodgers.

Other than modules the hydronic side does not have much in the way of interchangeability. The good thing is you can carry one gas valve and replace mostly any Intermittent pilot, direct spark or hot surface ignition system with that valve.

I do not recommend carrying a lot of parts for different Mod/Con systems unless you install or service frequently a particular brand. Just too much money to tie up, so that means a wait for the customer sometimes for a part,

I used to have stock on site at some of my commercial customers locations, in particular restaurants who can't afford downtime.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I am not a pro ...

... and I would never dream of fixing a neighbor's boiler. If a neighbor needed a used Taco 007 circulator, or a spare pressure relief valve (new, in box) just like mine and it was new year's eve and the tech did not have them on the truck, I would donate them.

I would not expect my service company to have the "usual" stuff for my Ultra-3 boiler on his truck, but I would like to think they have them at the office. I happen to know they do not stock the U-control board there, though.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    we

The company I work for stock's the standard universal gas valves, spark and ignition modules, t-couples and what not... but as far as mod/cons...we can order it as soon as the supply house opens. There are far to many items for us to stock even in our stock room. And of course, every update to a system and we now have out dated parts. I hate to leave someone cold but it's to hard and expensive to carry everything.

BTW, with just the basic's my truck carries over 10k in parts...
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Mod/Con stock.

I my service area, we see mostly Vitodens, NTI's, and Buderus mod/cons. There are others, but these three brands are easily the most common.

I have a repair box for each. Mostly flow sensors, pressure sensors, a couple of control boards, and stuff like that. The box stays at the office so a tech could grab it when going on a no heat call for a mod con.

If we were in an area where we saw more variety of manufacturers, then maybe this wouldn't work.
This discussion has been closed.