Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hurricane Flooded Basement & Gas Hot Water Heater and Pilot Light on Weil Mclain EG45 Steam Boil

Options
Ritzy
Ritzy Member Posts: 34
I am in the line of sight of Hurricane Irene.  This hurricane, probably, will flood my basement.  My basement has a Rheem 50 gallon gas hot water heater with an ongoing, lit pilot light. Also, my basement has a Weil Mclain EG45 Steam Boiler with a pilot light (even though my thermostat is set low in the summer & the boiler does not go on).

If I have to evacuate my house and water floods my basement, will the pilot lights on the hot water heater & the boiler shut off automatically when the equipment is overtopped with water?  Are there safety valves on these pieces of natural gas equipment that close the gas flow when the pilot lights are doused?

I am worried that gas will continue to flow out of the pilot light bases if a flood puts out the pilot lights themselves. 

I don't know how to shut off gas to my house. If I knew how to shut off the gas entirely, I would do that now...before the full assault of the hurricane floods my basement.  As an older woman, no one ever taught me how to shut gas...seems a bit unfair... ).

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    The answer is the water

heater and boiler both have an automatic shut off system if the pilots go out.

To be safe however and I realize you are elderly, I am 71 my self, do this go the control on the water heater and turn the knob on top to off, it will say on-off-pilot. Go to the boiler and follow the gas line until you find the gas valve same procedure turn the knob to off. This will shut both of them off. I hope you have someone to relite them for you.

If the equipment gets flooded and is under water it will need replaced completely. Your homeowners or other insurance may cover that.

Stay safe!
This discussion has been closed.