Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turn off gas at valve or meter? (Storm related)

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
Just checking best gas shut-off in an emergency. See photos:

Gas valve, which is closer to the incoming gas line. Red arrow shows what appears to be a shutoff on horizontal plane. does that require 180 turn counterclockwise?

Gas meter with green arrow shows shutoff. If I recall correctly, that would be a counterclockwise turn about 90 degrees until the lock-holes line up. Please let me know what's the best alternative.

I know some wallies have posted they leave a pipe wrench or vise grip right on the shutoff for emergencies.

Thanks. Safe weekend for everyone.

Comments

• Shutoff

"Gas meter with green arrow shows shutoff. If I recall correctly, that

would be a counterclockwise turn about 90 degrees until the lock-holes

line up."

Correct.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    edited August 2011
    On my gas meter, it is pretty obvious.

Let's see if I can post a picture.

Looks like it. Clearly I turn it clockwise 90 degrees. That is where the gas company put a padlock until the gas piping was inspected and approved.

Is that a dielectric union  at the top of the valve? They have another at the output valve of the meter too. I guess they really do not want people grounding to the gas pipe.
  • D107
    access limited

Actually in practice, I found that the vise grip I had was far too small for the required torque, the pipe wrench path was blocked by the frame of the access door put in before i moved here--hard to see in photo. Don't think a 10 inch pipe wrench is big enough anyhow. At some point i'll relocate the meter outside, but in most situations I would not be the one turning off the gas. Just interesting to note that it's not as simple as first appeared. Access is key.
  • Correct Tool

I would use a crescent wrench on the valve - 10" minimum.  If it's hard to turn, put a cheater on the end of the wrench.  My cheater is a 1-1/4" piece of steel pipe, about 36" long.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • D107
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the gas valve and it appears that to close would be clockwise a quarter turn as long as the stem or whatever you call the piece that the wrench grabs ends up at a right angle to the gas line when closed (and online with gas line when open. Counterclockwise to open from closed position.) The positioning of the valve and its larger piping should make it easier to turn. Thanks again. Just stuff that's good to know.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    just remember

Anytime you interupt service to a location it should have a pressure test to verify there are no leaks in the building.
  • D107
    Great point and just get a PRO to handle emergencies

Just to be clear for any non-pros like myself reading this, I'm not a DIYer with this stuff. The odds of me ever having to do this are exceedingly slim. If I came home or woke up and smelled a huge gas leak, I would NOT run to the basement and mess with anything there, too late for that. I'd grab my cell phone, get well away from the house first THEN call for emergency service. I'm sure the gas and heating experts on the Wall have posted their procedures many times over. And the utilities also are a good source of recommended emergency procedures.
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    gas valve closing

On all the individual meter valves and house main trunk valves I've seen in RI, it doesn't matter whether you turn clockwise or counterclockwise - except it's often easier in one direction than the other due to obstructions, etc.

My favorite tool is an old Ford adjustable 'monkey wrench' where the straight jaws are at right angles to the handle - durn near useless for anything else, but fits gas valves very nicely, and good leverage at right angles.

But if my house wasn't going to blow away, I wouldn't shut off the gas.

If my house WAS going to blow away, I probably wouldn't go downstairs and shut off the gas....

Vbob
This discussion has been closed.