Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Garber vacuum gauge

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
I just bought one of the Garber filter restrictor gauges to add to my spin on filter housing.  I noticed the needle sits around 2 lines up from 0 with nothing applied.  I guess thats what you expect from a $10 gauge eh.

Any how, Is there any kind of thread sealant I should add to the fitting?  I was always told to never use teflon tape on fuel fittings.  My understanding is I will have to loosen the gauge every time I change the filter to bleed air out.

Thanks,

Chris J
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited July 2011
    well it depends.....

Was it always on '2'?  Or is it holding right after a cycle?  Did it move as the burner was running?

You should use a pipe dope rated for oil.  But you dont need to bleed it everytime you change the filter.

How's your oil line connected?  From the top or bottom?  How far from tank?  How many feet of lift to the burner?  Any/how many shut off valves, oil safety valve, check vavles, filters, etc. between tank and burner?

You could bleed the line at the pump, get a full can, then see how it reacts.

Finally you could put a vaccuum gauge on the pump and see how the two match up.

Oops, read it again, is it a standard vacuum gauge?

Here's a link about this from a little while ago.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/130844/garber-filter-gauge-reading
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    Always on 2

I have not even installed the gauge yet and it says "2".  I assume its not very crucial as its just to give an idea of the restriction which is relative rather than something accurate.  Think I should keep the gauge or return it for another?  Its a standard vacuum gauge made by Garber.

Oil line is connected from top around 30 feet from tank.  Tank is up in crawl space while boiler is in basement,  maybe a 4 foot drop to burner.  I believe there is one shutoff valve and its a single pipe system.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    fixed the gauge

So,  I couldn't stand it sitting at 2 rather than zero.

So I took the gauge apart, figured out how it worked and fixed it.  Of course there is no way for me to calibrate it, but judging by the build quality I don't think it matters anyway.  The only interesting part is even though the gauge goes to 30hg at least with mine there is no mechanical way for it to go past 25.

I'm guessing for my use I only need 0-15hg anyway.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You could check it.

With the burner running, hopefully it was at 0 before you started, see what vaccuum it's pulling.  Should be 1" for every 10 feet of run, 1" for every foot of lift, 1" for the filter, 1" for oil safety valve, etc.  Add them all up and that's how much vaccuum you should be pulling.  Or check it with a vaccuum gauge on the pump.

If the gauge appears to be accurate, more vaccuum then would denote a restriction, probably in the filter, less would be an air leak

Under normal operations, you shouldn't get over 15" on a one pipe.  Suntec single stage pump says you shouldnt exceed 6".
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    zero reading

Well I finally installed the gauge and the needle doesnt even move.  Is this because the tank is around 4 feet above the burner / filter? 

I know for a fact the gauge works.  I suppose another possibility is the burner only ran for 50 seconds or so for the DHW.
This discussion has been closed.