Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler piping

Options
Mpj
Mpj Member Posts: 109
I am looking to set up a Alpine boiler with a buffer tank (already purchased and customer wants to use) and a indirect water heater. I have three small radiant zones (baths), two high temp radiant zones and two air handlers.

Any recommendation on piping layout would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Simple Solution

If the tank has four taps, then I'd pipe it just as though it were a low loss header. Then tap  the indirect between the boiler and the buffer tank (boiler loop). I would then create a primary loop on the other side of the tank and tap my emitters off it in series beginning with the high temp radiant, then the AHU's, then the low temp radiant.

It could also be put in series (the buffer tank) in the primary. This would be necessary if it only has two taps and would eliminate one circ. But this would not provide any hydraulic separation between the boiler and the primary if it is needed

There's more than one way to "skin the cat" (no offense to kitty lovers) and someone else may have another suggestion.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    That's a "Gee-an-own-me" heat exchanger...

Or is it a gee an no no... Anyway, it is extremely flow sensitive device. As Bob pointed out, flow on the fire side MUST be a constant. I tried to find an I&O manual, to no avail. If Burnham doesn't have any drawings addressing your concerns, look at Heat Transfer Products or Lochinvar for guidance. They have numerous drawings showing various configurations utilizing the same heat exchanger.

Another space saving idea is to incorporate a reverse indirect in the primary circuit. You will have to maintain the tank at a minimum of 140 degrees F, but that isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. You will obviously need to incorporate an ASSE anti scald valve to avoid scalding DHW temperatures during cold weather...

As Bob said, more'n one way to skin a cat...

BTW, that saying comes from skinning cat fish. Not kittens :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.