Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why shoud hot water boilers not be oversized?

Options
Tom Andrews
Tom Andrews Member Posts: 5
Hello,

I was wanting some information on why a hot water boiler should not be oversized.  Specifically, I am interested in the efficiency issues.  Is there data available regarding fuel consumption and short cycling? 

Thanks.

Tom

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Common Sense

Don't mean you don't have any but thing about it. If I need 60K btu's and I install a boiler that is 100K, which by the way is only needed on my design days, where does the other 40K go that I paid to burn? Those extra btus wasted get larger as the days get above the design temp.

Short cycling also causes more maintenace and service issues. Bigger is not better.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    If you're interesting

there are commercial white papers that reference 50% efficiency losses from short cycling. ORNL's domestic hot water testing from boilers shows 30% efficiency in the summer on cast iron and high 50's/low 60's even from mod/cons... that's primarily because of worst-case cycling losses (all residual heat is wasted).

on top of that you have lifecycle costs to consider.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Tom Andrews
    Options
    Where to get papers?

Thanks - that's what I was interested in - actual published data.

Do you know where I might access some of the commercial white papers?  Anyone else beside ORNL?  Appreciate the direction.  Thanks
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    here's one

that you might like
    Rob Brown
  • Tom Andrews
    Options
    Perfect

That was perfect.  Thanks very much Rob

Tom
  • NRT_Rob
    Options
    sure

fun read. it's for commercial boilers, so I would hesitate to translate it directly to residential scale boilers. but it establishes the fact that it matters, at least.

I can't wait for datalogging tech to sink in price a bit more so fuel use vs heat delivered can be compared on more systems!!
    Rob Brown
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Sized for the largest load ...

Which in most residential is domestic hot water ...if the boiler is used for it as well as heat..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.