Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valves

Bill H.
Bill H. Member Posts: 30
I plan to have my boiler replaced soon, and want to specify trim components to be used. Is there a good quality zone valve that is easier to replace, perhaps that uses compression fittings or some other features that would minimize labor cost, etc.? I see Taco has a valve that allows replacement of the motor without having to undo a sweated pipe Tee.  My present system uses Honeywell valves, but they don't appear repairable. Any suggestions?  Thanks, Bill

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Almost all zone

valves are field repairable, including Honeywell.
  • AFred
    AFred Member Posts: 81
    Honeywell

In my opinion, stick with honeywell if your looking to save in the future. I carry a couple of honeywell zone valves on my truck at all times, as do most boiler techs I know. They are the most common! You shouldn't hear: "I'll have to run to some goofy wholesaler in the morning, see you later!"
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    That can vary by region Fred.

Up here, we see mostly Taco and Caleffi.  I do not know of a single contractor in this area that uses Honeywell anymore, unless they are specifically spec'd by the engineer.

Bill, it all goes to availability in your area.  As previously stated, almost all of the brands on the market now use pop-top heads.  Taco, Caleffi, Erie, Honeywell, Belimo, etc... are all reputable brands.  Taco uses a wax motor design, which can lead to longer response times.  However I have used them forever and have no complaints.  The motorized ones (most others) have faster response times, but can cause hammer in the right situation.

Point:  They all work fine.  Ask your contractor which brand he is most comfortable with and go with that.  His comfort has a lot to do with what he stocks on the truck and what is available to him.

Good Luck.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Taco Zone Sentry

Have been using the Taco Zone Sentry. It's a ball valve style body with a pop-top type head. Much better flow through it then a traditional Honeywell V8043E1020. It carries a 3yr warranty too.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products/Zone%20Sentry%3Csup%3E%26reg%3B%3C/sup%3E%20Zone%20Valve/products.html?current_category=396
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.