Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

separating equalizer and header drip

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
I have a number of customers who have steam boilers with the steam supply coming out of the side. The installers put a T on the supply outlet with the top of the T going either to an undripped header( basically a waste of a header) or strait to the mains. The bottom of the T connects to the Hartford loop. In essence there is an equalizer but no header drip. Is there any reason not to leave the T in place and tap in to the end of the header and drip the header in to the most convenient location on the wet return?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    a tee on the supply

sounds like a good skimming port to keep the tee on the side outlet, but the rest of the piping should follow the mfg's installation instructions at a minimum.--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Not only...

is there no reason not to leave the T in place -- as nbc says, not a bad spot for a skimming port -- but there is every reason in the world to tap in as you suggest to the end of the "header" and drip it down to the wet return somewhere handy by.  Best to make sure that slopes and locations are such that steam and condensate in the header are moving in the same direction... 
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Why do you need

to add a drip to the header? Is it banging? Is it not pitched back to the boiler? Are you meaning Drop header instead of drip header? Just trying to see what you are find as an issue and finding an effective solution. No point in throwing good money after bad.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    ISSUES!!!

Banging, spitting, higher then normal bills.  Basically all the wet steam issues. The T can't be used for skimming at present because the bull connects to steam supply outlet, the top goes out to header and system and bottom goes to Hartford loop. I am very weary about working on T because of it's proximity to boiler. If I unintentionally break something I would prefer er it to be as far from boiler as possible to ease the work involved in fix up. This is definitely throwing good money after bad considering age of most of these boilers but a lot  of these customers are unwilling or unable to spend the extra money on new boiler no matter which song and dance I give them
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    No problem

These thing tend to work themselves out when the boiler cracks or starts leaking. Then you can install the new boiler. You may do them a bigger service by letting them know about a new boiler and the savings they will get with the added comfort and added efficiency of a new boiler sized properly for their home.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    homeowners homeowners

You know that and I know that. Convincing a homeowner is an entire different story. I almost want to cry sometimes when homeowners tell me they cant replace boilers because they cant afford to. I have customers living in similar size homes to mine, paying the same utility that I pay and they are paying double and triple what I pay in heating costs(my thermostat is set at 68 24/7). They say they cant afford a new boiler, cant afford main vents, cant afford working radiator vents, cant afford to skim, cant afford to insulate the mains or the house. IT IS VERY SAD!
This discussion has been closed.