Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus R-2107 control

In Jul 2005 we installed a Buderus 215-4 boiler with R-2107 logamatic control (upgraded from HS-2109) plus a Riello burner.  After a few initial start up problems, the system has performed well......until this past Sunday, Dec 12, 2010 when the screen went blank.  Our dealer has told us that they cannot troubleshoot the control much less repair it.  They will throw it away and insert a new one, at great expense.  Is this a legitimate response?  Seems rather wasteful and economically foolish.  The cost of the new unit will negate any savings we have made over the past five years.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    2107 Display

The display is a replaceable part. Are you sure that you don't have a blown fuse on the control? Does the 2107 operate the boiler?

Call Buderus or go their web site and find a contractor in your area who can service the 2107. It's an awesome control that rarely has problems.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Marg
    Marg Member Posts: 4
    R2107

My husband asked the dealer, who sold and installed the Buderus, if it could be a fuse, and he never received an answer.  I'll call the contact number in NH for Boderus and see what they say.  Thanks for the response. 

Our local dealer has ordered the new part and they are to install it tomorrow.  He is at a loss to explain the problem and has said he will send the unit to the factory to have them see if they can determine the cause of the failure and let us know. 

Have you ever hear of power surges causing any problems with this system?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Your Dealer

It doesn't sound like your dealer understands much about the 2107. If he doesn't know how to repair it then I find it unlikely that he knows how to properly set it up to give you the maximum benefits and savings the 2107 can provide. Buderus' training on this control covers all these things. I would not pay for another control until you know for certain that this one is toast - something that I've never seen.

The boiler came with a standard aquastat that was removed and replaced by the 2107. If you still have that, it can run the boiler until you get the 2107 fixed.

You failed to answer my earlier inquiry as to whether or not the 2107 was still operating the boiler. Knowing that would help to determine how you should proceed.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Marg
    R2107

Bob,  The unit is providing heat in manual mode, with boiler temp set at 140F.  Fuse is OK.  Dealer promises to deliver unit to NH "factory" for diagnosis.     Peter
  • Marg
    R2107

Bob, Thanks so much for your input.  Dealer sent out a service man to install the replacement unit this a.m.  Old unit is being sent back to factory for evaluation.  Will let you know what we learn.  Service guys seem to be under trained when it comes to this unit.  Not sure what the story is.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I have replaced maybe 5 of the 2107 LCD screens over the years.

Who knows what causes it?  Power fluctuations, static electricity, the cat, ....?

It only takes about 10 minutes to snap it out and snap in the new one.

Let's know what you find out.
  • R_Z
    R_Z Member Posts: 3
    Another Failure

Our R2107 failed this morning.  The G115 is running on manual mode ATM.  The system was installed about 8 years ago.

Same thing -- blank display.  Plus the LEDs for AUT, DAY and NIGHT flash on and off.  I cycled power off and on, both at the unit and at our home's circuit breaker.  No effect.  The main 10A fuse is intact -- without it, manual mode won't work.  Nothing on the main board seems burned out.

There were no error codes on Sunday when I changed the time ahead one hour to DST.  There's no evidence of a power failure -- our clocks and microwave oven did not reset.

So I'm interested to know what happened to the OP's unit.
  • RED76
    RED76 Member Posts: 8
    fuses

there are two fuses in the  2107 logamatic control.one is located in the front of the control and the other one is located inside the control.when you lift up the cover you will see it on the right hand underneath the power connections next to a blue capacitor.i have installed about 7 of these and only had to replaced that fuse once and the LCD screen was blank. this fuse is clear so its easy to see if its good/bad. now i stock them in my truck but never though of stocking LCD screens.
  • RED76
    RED76 Member Posts: 8
    fuses

there are two fuses in the  2107 logamatic control.one is located in the front of the control and the other one is located inside the control.when you lift up the cover you will see it on the right hand underneath the power connections next to a blue capacitor.i have installed about 7 of these and only had to replaced that fuse once and the LCD screen was blank. this fuse is clear so its easy to see if its good/bad. now i stock them in my truck but never though of stocking LCD screens.
  • R_Z
    Thanks

Thank you for replying.  I opened the unit and inspected the smaller fuse that's on the board.  It did not appear blown.  The filament was intact.  But I did not test it with an ohmmeter, yet.  (The system was powered up and in manual mode because the house was cold.)  We can test the fuse tomorrow when the service guy comes.
  • R_Z
    Need a new logamatic

The owner of our service company stopped by and couldn't revive the unit.  He called his supplier and got the Buderus number 1 800 283 3787 to call.  They said that when the display is dead and the lights flash, there's nothing you can do.  They recommend replacing the whole unit.

IMO, fixing something like this is out of the realm of what a boiler technician is trained to deal with.  What can he do, start replacing computer chips one by one?
  • BioBob
    BioBob Member Posts: 1
    2107 eratic display when turning dial

2107  display

Has anyone had the issue of a very eratic display when turnig the dial to change program times etc?.   I can turn my dial to look at various displays and i may have to turn the dial numerous times in order for it to change to the next prompt. When changing the times on a program if i turn the dial to go lets say from 11 am to 12 pm the time actually  goes backward  at times or again i may have to turn it  numerous times in order to make it advance even 30 minutes?
This discussion has been closed.