Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

storage water heater pilot goes out

Options
Jfonto
Jfonto Member Posts: 43
My pilot goes out at least once a day since having a flooded basement 3 days ago.

I was hoping the schmeg on the pilot would burn off, but it is only a little better than the first day after the water hit it.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Could be Dangerous

If the thermostat/gas valve was subjected to water, it should be replaced. On many heaters, it is non-replaceable and the entire water heater would have to be replaced. This is a potentially dangerous situation because the valve could stick open causing a fire or explosion.

Get a pro to check it right away. Your home owners insurance should cover repairing or replacement from flood damage.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jfonto
    Options
    Gas valve dry

gas valve wasn't covered, just the burner.

Had only 4" of water.

Lit the pilot, the burner goes on, gets up to temp, and when the burner goes out the pilot does too.

I thought the heat of the burner would dry everything out.

Does homeowners cover flodd damage?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    How Old is your Heater?

If it's say five years old or less, it has a flame shield which the air passes through. This could be clogged from the flooding starving the burner and pilot for air. Could also be the pilot head is partially restricted and the main burner needs cleaning. Could simply need a new thermocouple.

You should call a gas pro. You'll have to contact your insurance agent about the extent of your coverage.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jfonto
    Options
    20 years old

I think I'll Take out the burner assembly bring it too work, where I have compressed air, blow it all out , and try again.

Thanks Ironman.
  • Jfonto
    Options
    pilot head

Yea i thnik your right the pilot head is restricted. the pilot flame doesn't look right.
This discussion has been closed.