Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Fittings

I am wondering if it is a must to use steam fitting (cast) over black pipe fittings. The reason for this question is we are having this discussion at work and I have always been told you must use steam fitting,  I am also being told that supply houses are only selling black iron fittings now for steam not cast fitting.I need this dilema put to rest please help and  if possible be specific so this discussion at work can go to bed.Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    it is not necessary

to use cast verse mallable iron...but some day, you kids may want to remove one of those fittings, and it will be easier to get it off if its cast as opposed to mallable..otherwise they are both iron.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    I often need to use malleable fittings

You can only install what you can buy. The excuse my former wholesaler gave me as to the lack of cast iron fittings was "everyone owns a sawzall now" . Lame excuse far as I am concerned. They work but check local codes. I have heard in NYC cast or nothing but as I do not work in the City I have not confirmed this.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Polycarp
    Polycarp Member Posts: 135
    cast iron

One of the reasons that I have heard for the use of cast iron is that the walls are thicker, so they can take more of a thermal beating.  I was also told that it is therefore most important to get cast iron in the risers and header and the mains, but less critical farther out.
  • c.t.kay
    c.t.kay Member Posts: 85
    Fittings

Check the data sheets from the manufactures, they are both rated for steam, malleable has a higher rating that cast iron and tends to be more readily available.
This discussion has been closed.