Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitec Tubing and fittings?

4Johnpipe
4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
I came across a job where I was referred. The contractor(?) installed Kitec tube and brass fittings in a radiant/ baseboard heating system about a year and a half ago new home. The tubing is not common here. I looked it up and came across a lot of information regarding a class action suit regarding this material. Can anyone confirm the use for this product. I can not determine if 180 degree boiler water is approved the parent company IPEX seems to have discontinued the entire line. I am at a loss seeing this installed approximately 2 years after all the litigation and problems with the product.
LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
732-751-1560
email: langansph@yahoo.com
www.langansplumbing.com

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    My understanding is that

the issues were dezincification, crumbling fittings but only on domestic water systems, not on heating systems.  Anyone hear otherwise?

(I have about 200 feet of 5/8" Kitec, a manifold fitted for 5/8" and a host of 5/8" Kitek K2 compression fittings, but not enough to complete a few radiator hook ups. Anyone have any to spare/sell? I cannot find them either.)

But I can see the issue, once bitten, better to remove the product entirely when you cannot control the final installation.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    No issues with closed loop systems that I am aware of...

I remember Paul Pollets relating a story about high temp potable DHW/space heating system failing up in Washington state. The tube was blistering as I remember.

I have MILES of that stuff out there, and other than having the compression fittings that un did themselves, had no issues.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Same Here

No issues on hydronic systems. There are several manufacturers whose pex-al-pex is made to the same spec's. We switched to Roth and have interchanged the fittings and pipe with Kitec and had no problems. Just fired up a job with 4500 feet of in slab. Works great.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Ironman is right.

The Roth fittings seem to work.  Had no problems with closed systems.  The lawsuit delt with domestic potable water.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    not just DW systems

I have seen failure on Hydronic systems here in NL, Canada. Insurance companies wont offer home insurance to anyone with the pipe in the home any more. I have only ever seen Kitec installed on one DW system ever in these parts. I have been on several systems where the hydronics had to be re-pipe before sale of a house. And I have witness many leaks on the pipe and fittings. Compression pex-al-pex, crimp pex-al-pex, cheap compression generic. So in my experience this is not a DW only problem.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Kitec

Here's a pic of some serious de-zincification on a Kitec piping system to wall convectors using a water heater (open system) as the heat source.
This discussion has been closed.