Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roll out switch failure

New install. In floor heating application. 70,000 Btu Slantfin boiler. Relatively new boiler had failed due to consistently low return water temperatures. 30,000 Btu water heater shares 5" common vent with boiler. Vent height is only 15'. Automatic flue damper on bolier. Draft of boiler has been proved.  Manifold pressure correct - 3.5" W.C.  Mixing valve was added to maintain return water temperature at 140F. Supply water aquastat if I remember correctly is set to 160F. Return water pipe size - 1", supply water pipe size - 1.25".  On two seperated occasions, weeks apart the rollout switch above the burner section has failed. Upon running the boiler with a thermocouple placed near the rollout the temperature climbs within rollout setting. With lower cabinet door removed the temperature is very acceptable and stable.

What am I missing?

Comments

• RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Mfg part number

What model is this? Are you sure the flue is clear, no blockages?
    Rob
  • Radrobber
    Radrobber Member Posts: 2
    Slantfin mod# SE70SED

New liner was pulled when I installed the boiler. Carbon monoxide detector in room has never gone off. Limit switch on draft hood has never opened. 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    When the liner....

was installed was it sized properly? Did you do it or was it another company? Had a problem posted here a month ago where a sub contractor pulled the wrong liner down the chimney and that was the issue.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Flue liner size

If the flue liner were to small would this not trip the spill switch on the draft hood if its functioning properly?  I'm only asking. I do know some spill switches take quite a bit to trip, but should before roll out is tripped.

Gordy
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Probably a lack of secondary air flow...

That particular part of the boiler SHOULD be cooled by the incoming air for the combustion process. You could have obstructions in the flue gas passage ways, or you may be suffering from a lack of draft at that point that is allowing the radiant energy to overheat the detection switch and causing failure.

Attempt to clean between the sections first, and then if need be, apply a barometric damper to control draft, eliminating the fixed draft hood and installing a proper roll out switch at the barometric damper.

Proceed with caution.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I would suggest a complete

test of the unit with a combustion analyzer.
This discussion has been closed.