Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Gas Boiler?

Options
VAHome
VAHome Member Posts: 5
Our VERY old Burham gas hot water system is in need of replacement. What boiler do you recommend? We do have limited funds but want to get a good new system.

Thanks.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Are you looking for

a Modulating/Condensing boiler?

What do you have for emitters baseboard, convectors or radiators?

Have you done any upgrading of your home, windows, insulation etc.?

Typically older boilers are over sized so it would be a good idea when you decide on a contractor to have them do a heat loss on the house.

A little heads up before you decide, new Mod/Con boilers typically require annual maintenance (cleaning) parts are also expensive, parts are not always readily available in the area of install. Parts are not interchangeable.

The installer (contractor) needs to be a very capable individual in order for the new system to get installed correctly and also be available to follow up when problems arise.

Contractor needs to understand combustion and know how to use a Combustion analyzer and how to adjust equipment for maximum efficiency and comfort.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    What's Limited?

Gives us an idea of what limited means? Did you have a budget figure in mind? That will save alot of posts.

Like Tim said, whether a mod/con or any other boiler. Make sure you get a heat loss done. Any boiler is only as good as the installation so make sure you don't choose a contractor dictated on price.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• VAHome
    Options
    Best Gas Boiler?

The emitters are baseboards...the ones with a pipe running through with those aluminum fins. The house was built in 1959 and is brick and block. No real upgrades except new roof. It is presently a two-zone heating set-up.

We want a high efficiency system but not high maintenance or difficult or expensive yearly replacement materials. I think "simple" is often best but maybe I'm naive about boiler replacement options.

Mod/cond sounds like the new technology but maybe not worth it in our case.
  • VAHome
    Options
    Best Gas Boiler?

I'd say we're looking to spend between $3000 and $5000 to replace the boiler. Is this realistic?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,534
    Options
    Chris

We don't discuss pricing.
    Retired and loving it.
  • CMadatMe
    Options
    Dan

Didn't mean to break any rule. Just asking what budget he had in mind to anwser his question as to which boilers he may want to look at.

• CMadatMe
    Options
    Your Most Likely

Going to be in a standard atmospheric (chimmney vented) boiler. Would suggest you look at electronic ignition versus standing pilot.

Crown, Burnham, Weil, Peerless, Slant-Fin  are all good boilers. Like I said previously it's the installation that leads to a good boiler that will last for years.

• VAHome
    Options
    Best Gas Boiler

Been looking at these brands: Burham, Viesmann, Weil McLain, Peerless, Triangle Tube. Somebody said Burham uses aluminum, not stainless steel but maybe that's not true.Viesmann is German I think and the equipment seemed high but the installation was much less than Triangle.

Any thoughts on which brand offers the best overall value?

Triangle was the most expensive to install...probably because it's mod/cond technology and you get the hot water heater with it.

I'll look at Slant Fin and Crown.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.