Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system 2000 problem

kpg2010
kpg2010 Member Posts: 9
I have a system 2000 ek1 that just went through about 65 gallons of oil in one week. I bled every zone, changed the limit switch, the zone valves seem to be working, the plate exchanger for hot water is clean. What else can I do?

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    How big is the home?

what size of boiler are you running? I would say if there is a boiler that requires manufacture trained repair techs it is the system 2000.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    How big is the home?

what size of boiler are you running? I would say if there is a boiler that requires manufacture trained repair techs it is the system 2000.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • kpg2010
    .85 gph

house is close to 2000 sft
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Domestic Hot water Leak?

Have you checked for a leaking faucet or pipe somewhere?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    EK-1

with a Beckett AFG, the nozzle should be a >75 70 degree hollow. It is slightly overfired, but I'd be looking into a faulty oil line if if goes under the floor, and are you sticking the tank for those gallons, or going by the gauge? 
  • kpg2010
    .85 70A

I already checked the oil line for leaks. The proper nozzle is installed. I did notice one zone valve that when opened manualy TT makes on the board. I replaced it with a new one and it did the same thing. I didnt find any leaking hot water pipes either. I was going by the gauge on the tank.
  • billtwocase
    nozzle size

are you sure it is not an EK-2? Keep in mind the pressure is 130-140 fuel pump pressure. If it an EK-1, you are slightly over firing the boiler. Having installed my first EK in 1984, the 1 has always been a max of .75. What are your combustion readings?
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Gauge?

Using the tank gauge to measure oil use is not accurate.
  • billtwocase
    Is the zone valve open all the time?

You said you replaced a zone head, and the new one does the same thing. Is the System manager light on the right side? May be a post-purge issue with the manager? The last zone, or water tank, should be post-purging. If that zone wasn't the last to call for heat, it shouldn't be powered
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2010
    Excess fuel consumption

Maximum firing rate for the EK-1 is 1.00 GPH. Nozzle is  .85 GPH at 136 psi. Factory firing rate is .85 GPH, .75@130 psi. Please explain the zone valve situation. How many zones total are there? Which manager? If it's a digital are there any flashing lights? As previously mentioned, using the gauge is not an accurate way to judge consumption.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Don't read the Gauge

The tank gauge is not a good way to measure fuel consumption...especially if you were watching the first quarter of the tank.   If you want to accurately track consumption, an easy way is to install an hour meter that runs with the burner. 

Do your zone valves have end switches?  If they do, that sounds like normal operation to me.  If everything else appears to be in order...perhaps it is!  Have a System 2k guy check things over if you want to be sure.

-Rob
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    system 2000

System 2000 doesn't normally use zone valves with end switches. The thermostats are wired to the manager. The manager outputs power the zone valves. There are exceptions which may be the case here. In any event that wouldn't make the boiler use that much more oil.
  • kpg2010
    9 zones

Before I bled all the zones I noticed there was no pressure in the boiler. There was air in 2 zones for sure. Brought the boiler to 12 psi after purging and it doesnt seem to be running as often . I'm thinking air was the problem all along.
  • billtwocase
    only if

you weren't getting heat, other than that, you'd use less oil. It would be up to temp without any effort. Where is the by-pass valve set? Should be fully open on that. Also is it a Classic or Digital manager?
This discussion has been closed.