Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An excellent reading resource...

Thanks to Mike Kusiak and Testo.

<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/posts/4721/CombustionGuide.pdf">http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/posts/4721/CombustionGuide.pdf</a>

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Resource

Good stuff Mark, thanks again
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Testo Manual

Mark,

Do you agree with the comments in the manual that state you should never go outside the manufacturers recommendations or you should never modify equipment?

Can you calculate airflow using a combustion efficiency calculation and a Delta T?

Where would you say he got most of his combustion numbers from??

Of course then it states that if the combustion numbers are outside the ranges it really doesn't matter that much.  What???

Sorry, when people re-write my life's work and then belittle it at the same time, I get a bit perturbed.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited November 2010
    Haven't had a chance to read through the whole thing yet Jim...

But I can understand your angst. Have you discussed it with the author? I presume you know the author(s)?

Do you have anything better that you can post here without compromising your work/job?

See you in a few weeks (I hope). Time for a refresher course.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    combustion material

Jim B has been to the class and which is where he got most of his initial information.  Jim is a good guy and very intelligent and we get along just fine.  I think he has learned quite a bit since he wrote this information and would probably like to change a few things.  However, he has to be politically correct, so he still includes many fallacies in this material to please certain egos.

It is good information, it has to be, most of the beginning came from my material and studies.  Very little information on what is wrong if you are not in range or any real solutions to actual problems.  With just what is written in this material you might find a problem but wouldn't have a clue what is causing it or how to fix it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I am sure the layers are involved in the editing process....

and as usual, corporate rules dictate what he can and can't say (publish) without incurring liability.

The least he could do is give credit where credit is due.

Do you have anything we can publish here?

It's all about education, and just reading up is only half the task.

ME
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    My experience with

NCI material and the Testo material along with many others who write on the subject is that you really have to get into the basement with this stuff and use whatever you have as far as learning the Fundamentals of Combustion.

Long term most of the material I have seen including my own could be put together in a better format so that we can all learn this a little more easily I do not think that NCI will post any place that you can purchase their material without attending Jim's class and I understand that even though I do not agree with their policy..

The problem is we sometimes cause confusion because we do not agree with one an others methods. Hopefully the end result is accomplished and that is a safe and efficient system. Jim and I tend to go beyond what test instrument manufacturers offer as they have to protect against law suits. I have never operated in fear of law suits because I am confident in my ability to come to a safe conclusion on these varied combustion issues. I have always said that there are not two units exactly the same and have seen that with ten units in one building and they all came out slightly different upon testing. All however with in safe and efficient conditions.
This discussion has been closed.