Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Death by criminal stupidity

Options
How about this one...

Last weekend in Chicago, a 42 year old woman was found dead in a house.  The cause was determined to be  CO.  City FD and Peoples Gas inspected, found "faulty boiler and water heater".  Gas co disconnected and capped pipes, hung red tags.  Then, on wednesday, a 52 year old man was killed and two other men overcome in the same house.  Turns out that some yet unidentified person had removed the tags, reconnected the pipes, and turned everything back on.  I sure hope they find whoever did this.  No one is safe from the most severe of idiots. 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Co Death

Could you post a link to this story?

Thanks
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • rlaggren
    rlaggren Member Posts: 160
    Options
    disclaimer - I'm a plumber, not a heating pro.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Options
    not the first time

Was involved in a similar court case a few years ago in Akron, Ohio.  A friend or neighbor was nice enough to take off the reg tag and turn the gas back on and two people died.  3 contractors that had sent salesmen to quote the people on a new furnace were sued for not adequately warning the homeowners that their existing furnace was dangerous and should not be used.

The guy that lit it, never found.
  • Oak Park Electric
    Oak Park Electric Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Sorry for the delay

But I have not been able to get into my acct for a few days.  Thanks to the HH staff, the issue was resolved, and very quickly.  Here are a couple links that worked several days ago, but sometimes these pages get changed or taken down, so I hope they still work.  Mostly, it's all the same stuff as in the story that Rufus posted.  The disappointing thing about so many of these stories is that they are reported by news people, who don't know anything about heating or CO, so the details that are important to those like us get left out.  Of course the reason for it is that the average person watching the TV news isn't really that interested in the poisoning of someone they have never known, and they care even less about the ' boring ' tech stuff.   I understand this, and it makes sense, but it's too bad that we can't get more detailed information. 

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/25/carbon-monoxide-leaves-2-dead-2-hospitalized/

www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2923890,CST-NWS-monoxide1126.article
This discussion has been closed.