Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to ID a millivolt system

Options
Jshine
Jshine Member Posts: 19
How can I tell if I have a millivolt system?  We have a gas furnace that produces steam for heat - no fans - no cooling.  Thermostat is a 2 wire Honeywell T87F. One wire is connected to the pressure control unit - the other wire connects to the low water cut off.

John

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited November 2010
    Options
    First sign.

Millivolt systems will not have a shut-off switch on the boiler, or a breaker in the panel. The boiler will most likely not have any high voltage connections on it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Give me the numbers

from the gas valve. If it is a Honeywell powerpile (750 Millivolt) system it will have an s in the numbers say like a VS-820 valve?

Are you the same person with the question about T8775 thermostat?
  • Jshine
    Options
    millivolt question

Thanks -

Yes - I do have a shut off switch on the boiler

Gas valve is  VR 8304M 3152  24v  60hz

so - looks like "not" a millivolt system ??

and yes - I have the post up about the T8775A  -  after that stat failed to work I got out the boiler manual and read a section "electronic thermostats" - "certain types of electronic thermostats may lose their memory or shut down." the manual goes on to say - "with PS-802 probe type low water cut offs, this may occur each time a low water condition is detected".  ...goes on to talk about installing a R8222A relay etc.. so even though it doesn't sound like my situation - now I'm getting spooked about trying another brand new T8775 or using any digital stat.  So looking at other stats and reading some posts here - I keep coming across posts that say you can't use a certain stat with a millivolt system - power robbing and so on and so on... pretty confusing for me..that's why I posted the millivolt question. 
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    If you still have your old T87F put it

back it was one of the most reliable thermostats Honeywell ever made.
  • Jshine
    Options
    T87F

That exact thought has crossed my mind - The T87F has worked perfectly - maybe I'll just place a hook next to it to hold a good magnifying glass.

Thanks again for all the good info.
This discussion has been closed.