Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WEIL MCLAIN BLOWER MOTOR

My furnace was not working this morning. Its a 10 year old weil mclain he ll-4 . The blower motor was just barely turning and I discovered in the manual that it should have been oiled every season. Well. its now oiled and spinning freely. The furnace now cycles on and off with no issues or unusual noises. Am I ok or should I expect the motor to fail? 

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Blower Motor:

I've had that happen. I've gotten the motor going by oiling it. But I changed it anyway. I would not ever suggest that you just keep it as it is. That's your decision.

But remember, gas equipment is service free. Unlike oil.

Except when the blower motors haven't been cleaned and the burner tubes need to be cleaned. Otherwise, they are service free. Until it stops.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited November 2010
    Many times just oiling a motor is all that

is needed. I would suggest letting it go and see if it will continue to run. My experience is that most of the time it will continue to run.

As for gas equipment never needing service or annual maintenance that has never been true. In my 28 years with a large gas company we encouraged our customers to have an annual check up done on their equipment. It is even more the case today as the high efficiency equipment needs service even more than the old equipment. There should also be a combustion analysis done at the time of annual service.
This discussion has been closed.