Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Emergency on/off boiler switch...

john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
Would like to mount the on/off switch on a panel to which I mounted my supply header, zone valve junction boxes and water feed. But have never seen it done any other way than directly to the sheetmetal jacket of the boiler.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    switch

The reason for jacket mounted switches are for quick easy access while servicing. Whether it be gas or oil, it should be within arm's length from the burner for quick disconnect
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Check your local code

John, in Maine it specifies within arms reach while servicing the burner.  I am 6'4" with long arms and I asked the question to a state inspector once.  He laughed and said, within reach of a normal technician.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Switch

Yes that's a emergency switch for the home owner at a safe distance the one on the unit is a service switch for a quick response and for additional safty while working. A disconnect is better ... Sure your noticing them slowly being added. Like in limit aquastats ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Silly rules in Colorado...

The code for commercial buildings requires a fireman's emergency disconnect be mounted just outside of the boiler room door on commercial buildings.

The problem is, in a multi family building, just outside of the boiler room is usually the apartment buildings Laundry room...

Talk about nuisance lockouts.

So, we came to a happy compromise with the AHJ. We would mount the switch, just inside the boiler room door, with a large yellow arrow at the same height that says "EMERGENCY DISCONNECT INSIDE" so that the firemen can reach the disconnect without having to actually walk into the room. That way, the switch is out of reach of mischevious fingers, and is behind a locked door.

I believe the NEC states that if the circuit breaker panel is in the same room as the appliance, that a disconnect is not required. It also states that if the amperage draw of the appliance is less than a certain threshold, that a fused disconnect is not required,,, But the inspectors are so used to seeing them, that we put them in anyway.

Belts with your suspenders sir???

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    switch

Emergency switch location always varies, but here in Mass, opening a basement  or boiler room door to access an emergency switch will not pass inspection, and must be red cover. I guess it is common sense. Fire or smoke in the basement/boiler room, I don't want to open the door to kill the power
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Electrical Tubing connector

Being a servicemen for too many years ... After getting those calls in the middle of the night ... I like to attach a 1/2 conduit clap to the top screw of the switch which spins down and cover the lever .. BX straps work great too if you bend them just right ...

I get a kick out of the standard question of the home owner on those "Switch Off "calls is "Who shut it off ?" Like I snuck in the home to shut the dang thing off and waited outside :)
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.