Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

W McL Ultra igniter replacement

Options
BobMac
BobMac Member Posts: 3
My unit is seven yrs old and it has been recommended that I replace the igniter. No problems except for hard lock out issues from power surges and low power. Is this a necessary maintenance issue? Many thanks.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Who is recommending

you change it? If it is the folks servicing your unit then definitely have them replace it. Seven years is a good long time on an igniter so it would still not be a bad idea to replace it even if not recommended by a service person.
  • BobMac
    Options
    Many thanks, Tim...

No, no! I'm not replacing it myself; and, yes, was recommended by the contractor who services the unit. He is very thorough and fussy even, so given that I'm on something of an austerity program I was wondering - - given the absence of a problem - - if I could procrastinate. Thanks again, Bob McIntyre
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Ignitor replacement.

I recently had my Ultra 3 serviced for the first time after one year of service. The technician automatically replaced the ignitor. It looks easy enough to do, if you have the required tools and parts (gaskets, etc.). On the other hand, it is a sparker, not a hot surface ignitor, so I would not think it would need replacement unless the insulators were defective or the electrodes burned. It looked as good as new to me (a non-professional). On the other hand, an annual service does involve taking the heat exchanger apart, so you have the burner and ignitor out there. You might as well change the ignitor. Depending on what it costs. If you do it during the service, the laber cannot be more than 10 minutes more than not doing it.

I have had no problem with power surges, as far as I know (an my computer logs most power surges). I did have a whole-house surge protector installed in my main circuit breaker panel, and the power to the boiler is on a breaker all its own.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Ignitor replacements

whether an HSI/sensor or a direct spark and even intermittent pilot at the least should be either replaced or cleaned annually.

The Intermittent pilot and DSI are less likely to fail and cleaning is usually enough to keep them operating.

I would hope you also have a thorough cleaning of the WM Ultra to insure no problems down the road. It does require the heat exchanger and and condensate system to be taken apart and cleaned.

A combustion analysis should also be done annually to insure safe operation relative to Carbon Monoxide issues along with efficiency.
  • BobMac
    Options
    Thank you, Tim..

I passed on your specific recoomendations and long term benefits regards annual service to my contractor. Besides continued reliability and efficiency, your CO comment caught my attention.His response was "yeah, but..." given that he has experienced few problems. But now I have a check list of sorts to review with him. Thanks again, Bob
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Bobmac in your

"User Manual" from WM there is a maintenance list for you the owner. In addition in the Installation and Operations Manual there is a list for the contractor to do also annually on the unit.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I read those manuals.

The frustrating thing for me was that the contractor that installed the boiler refused to follow the annual maintenance procedures in the I&M manual, and would not even test the pressure relief valves.

I had to get a new contractor.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Hopefully the new

contactor will follow the procedures outlined in the I & O manual, good luck!
This discussion has been closed.